Windows/Installer file "hidden" attribute

=?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmllUw==?=

      6th Sep 2006
I had migrated disk data to new larger disk and made new disk the boot disk.
I feel this is what created problem, because afterwards Norton one-button
check-up found many registry errors due to missing references, files, icons,
etc and shortcut errors. On MS update site I was receiving error msg which
said one reason couldn't update might be that .msp files weren't available.
I keep my folder properties set to show all hidden and system files. After
searching couldn't find the .msp files. Checked on another computer and
files found in Windows/Installer file. Searching couldn't find this file on
my computer. After trying various things, I used command prompt to view all
files and saw Installer file was there but "hidden". I used command prompt
to remove hidden attribute from file which then made it visible in Windows
Explorer. However, once computer is rebooted file is reset to hidden and
Windows Explorer can't see it again. When visible in Windows Explorer,
properties show it as read-only but the "hidden" checkbox is unchecked but
unavailable.

After ongoing effort, Office Update did perform a scheduled update and
downloaded & installed about 16 updates/patches that hadn't been installed
since I migrated harddisks. Although I still get error msg if I go to update
website and manually try to check for updates.

If the Windows/Installer file is "invisible" to Windows Explorer or Windows
search engine (even though folder options set to be viewable) does this
create a problem if programs are looking for those files? Is there something
I can do to make file a visible but hidden file in the same way as the other
hidden system files? Why is the "hidden" checkbox unavailable to me in
Windows if I remove hidden status through command prompt? Any ideas?

Wesley Vogel

      7th Sep 2006
What ..msp file are you talking about?

In a command prompt...

Type: cd\ and hit Enter

Then type or paste: attrib /s /d *.msp and type Enter

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
LaurieS <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> I had migrated disk data to new larger disk and made new disk the boot
> disk. I feel this is what created problem, because afterwards Norton
> one-button check-up found many registry errors due to missing references,
> files, icons, etc and shortcut errors. On MS update site I was receiving
> error msg which said one reason couldn't update might be that .msp files
> weren't available. I keep my folder properties set to show all hidden and
> system files. After searching couldn't find the .msp files. Checked on
> another computer and files found in Windows/Installer file. Searching
> couldn't find this file on my computer. After trying various things, I
> used command prompt to view all files and saw Installer file was there
> but "hidden". I used command prompt to remove hidden attribute from file
> which then made it visible in Windows Explorer. However, once computer is
> rebooted file is reset to hidden and Windows Explorer can't see it again.
> When visible in Windows Explorer, properties show it as read-only but the
> "hidden" checkbox is unchecked but unavailable.
>
> After ongoing effort, Office Update did perform a scheduled update and
> downloaded & installed about 16 updates/patches that hadn't been installed
> since I migrated harddisks. Although I still get error msg if I go to
> update website and manually try to check for updates.
>
> If the Windows/Installer file is "invisible" to Windows Explorer or
> Windows search engine (even though folder options set to be viewable)
> does this create a problem if programs are looking for those files? Is
> there something I can do to make file a visible but hidden file in the
> same way as the other hidden system files? Why is the "hidden" checkbox
> unavailable to me in Windows if I remove hidden status through command
> prompt? Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmllUw==?=

      7th Sep 2006
Below is msg I get from Ofc Update Site:
Quote:
The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This
may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

1. You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
2. There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office
Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try
running detection again.
3. Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office
updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your
computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation
completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If
the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may
also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
4. You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows
Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information
see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if
Unavailable.
Unquote

I searched for .msp files & couldn't "find". After looking at another WinXP
computer found these files in Windows/Installer folder on that computer but
my Windows/Installer file couldn't be found. Located it through command
prompt search for all files/folders incl hidden & system. At command prompt
removed "hidden" attribute from Installer folder & then it was visible in
Windows Explorer until computer rebooted, then it reverted to really hidden
even though folder options set to show hidden & system folders.
If hidden attribute removed through command prompt, then file properties in
Windows Explorer showed "hidden" checkbox unchecked and unavailable for me to
check. When computer is rebooted, folder reverts to where Windows Explorer &
Search can't see or find it.

Question really was if anyone knew how a folder could be hidden to Windows
Explorer & Search even though folder options was for hidden & system folders
to be made visible. And, if anyone knew how to change this file's hidden
attribute status to be permanently as it should be, same as other system &
hidden folders. Is there a registry issue or what?

Thank you.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> What ..msp file are you talking about?
>
> In a command prompt...
>
> Type: cd\ and hit Enter
>
> Then type or paste: attrib /s /d *.msp and type Enter
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> LaurieS <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > I had migrated disk data to new larger disk and made new disk the boot
> > disk. I feel this is what created problem, because afterwards Norton
> > one-button check-up found many registry errors due to missing references,
> > files, icons, etc and shortcut errors. On MS update site I was receiving
> > error msg which said one reason couldn't update might be that .msp files
> > weren't available. I keep my folder properties set to show all hidden and
> > system files. After searching couldn't find the .msp files. Checked on
> > another computer and files found in Windows/Installer file. Searching
> > couldn't find this file on my computer. After trying various things, I
> > used command prompt to view all files and saw Installer file was there
> > but "hidden". I used command prompt to remove hidden attribute from file
> > which then made it visible in Windows Explorer. However, once computer is
> > rebooted file is reset to hidden and Windows Explorer can't see it again.
> > When visible in Windows Explorer, properties show it as read-only but the
> > "hidden" checkbox is unchecked but unavailable.
> >
> > After ongoing effort, Office Update did perform a scheduled update and
> > downloaded & installed about 16 updates/patches that hadn't been installed
> > since I migrated harddisks. Although I still get error msg if I go to
> > update website and manually try to check for updates.
> >
> > If the Windows/Installer file is "invisible" to Windows Explorer or
> > Windows search engine (even though folder options set to be viewable)
> > does this create a problem if programs are looking for those files? Is
> > there something I can do to make file a visible but hidden file in the
> > same way as the other hidden system files? Why is the "hidden" checkbox
> > unavailable to me in Windows if I remove hidden status through command
> > prompt? Any ideas?

Wesley Vogel

      7th Sep 2006
You could have deleted files from the WINDOWS Installer folder, I did.

C:\WINDOWS\Installer
or
%windir%\Installer

Paste this into Start | Run and click OK...

%windir%\Installer

You'll see a bunch of CLSID folders like
{901B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}
and a bunch of .msi files.

{901B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} is an MS Word folder.

To avoid all kinds of errors with applications such as MS Office, leave the
C:\WINDOWS\Installer folder alone.

FWIW, I deleted some MS Office related items and I now *CANNOT* get MS
Office Updates.

I suppose that if I reinstalled Word I could, but I figure the heck with it.