Windows installer error and iTunes

lisa02148

      20th Sep 2008
I am trying to update to the newest version of iTunes but get the following
error message: There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A
program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your
support personnel or package vendor.
If I uninstall iTunes, will I lose all the contents?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

      20th Sep 2008
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

lisa02148 wrote:
> I am trying to update to the newest version of iTunes but get the
> following
> error message: There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A
> program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact
> your
> support personnel or package vendor.
> If I uninstall iTunes, will I lose all the contents?
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.

GeoSan

      8th Oct 2008
I'm having the same problem. I'm XP SP3.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
> lisa02148 wrote:
> > I am trying to update to the newest version of iTunes but get the
> > following
> > error message: There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A
> > program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact
> > your
> > support personnel or package vendor.
> > If I uninstall iTunes, will I lose all the contents?
> >
> > Any suggestions would be helpful.

GeoSan

      8th Oct 2008
Further, I have uninstalled ITunes and tried to reinstall with the same
problem.

"GeoSan" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. I'm XP SP3.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
> >
> > lisa02148 wrote:
> > > I am trying to update to the newest version of iTunes but get the
> > > following
> > > error message: There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A
> > > program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact
> > > your
> > > support personnel or package vendor.
> > > If I uninstall iTunes, will I lose all the contents?
> > >
> > > Any suggestions would be helpful.

problems2

      13th Oct 2008
Dud you find out any solutions? Please let me know. I am having the same
problem

"lisa02148" wrote:

> I am trying to update to the newest version of iTunes but get the following
> error message: There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A
> program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your
> support personnel or package vendor.
> If I uninstall iTunes, will I lose all the contents?
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.

GeoSan

      14th Oct 2008
Yes, I found a solution on Apple's support page.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926?viewlocale=en_US

Follow the cleanup Itunes installer link. After the download, I selected
anything that said Apple, Itunes or quicktime.