Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) can't use Outlook 2007 Contacts

tempelife

      10th Feb 2009
System:
Vista Ultimate x64
Office Ultimate 2007 w/ BCM

"Windows Fax and Scan" (WFS) does not allow me to choose Outlook Contacts in
order to populate the fax number field. WFS is using Windows Contact instead
Outlook Contacts.

I've tried everything of which I could think, and read every forum I could
find on the web.

Steps I've tried:
1) Control Panel-> Programs-> Default Programs-> Set Default Programs->
Outlook
I Checked all boxes (6 extensions, 6 protocols, 1 start menu).
Technically, they’re “grayed out” but checked.
Is anything missing?
..hol
..ibc
..ics
..msg
..vcf
..vcs
--------------------------------
MAILTO
OUTLOOKFEED
OUTLOOKFEEDS
STSSYNC
WEBCAL
WEBCALS
-------------------------------
E-mail link

2) Control Panel-> Programs-> Default Programs-> Set Default Programs->
Windows Contact
4 of 5 items are “grayed out” and checked.
..contact
..group
..p7c
..vcf (only one not checked)
--------------------------------
LDAP

3) Outlook-> Tools-> Account Settings-> Address Books
Outlook Address book shows up as MAPI?
I tried creating another MAPI Address Book to test, but was limited to only
one.
I tried creating LDAP, but it didn’t seem to do anything, and I don’t know
what it does.

4) Outlook-> Folder List View-> Contacts (right click) -> Properties->
Outlook Address Book
“Show this Folder as an Email Address Book” is checked but “Grayed Out”.

5) Checked on my .PST File.
C:\Users\Bret\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.PST
Interesting Note about Properties:
“Type of File: Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders (.pst)”
“Opens With: Unknown Application”
Is that normal to say opens with “Unknown Application”?
When I open Outlook, it always opens normally.
However when I try to associate a program (outlook), then open the file up
directly it doesn’t work. It seems fine to me, but I thought I throw that in
here.

6) WFS-> New Fax-> To-> Select Recipients-> Find-> Look In->
Windows Contact, Active Directory, Verisign Internet Directory Service all
show up.
Why would the latter to appear? That seems odd to me.

7) I always run WFS as Administrator to make sure permissions are not the
problem.

Please help. I am at a loss.
One of my concerns is that WFS and Outlook Contact won’t work together in
Vista x64.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

As I’ve already found out, “Outlook Internet Fax Service” doesn’t work on
Vista x64 told to me by a Windows Dialog Box, but I don’t think should be
preventing me from bringing my Outlook Contacts into WFS.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      10th Feb 2009
Verify that you have configured the Outlook Address Book Service correctly.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> directly it doesn’t work. It seems fine to me, but I thought I throw that
> in
> here.
>
> 6) WFS-> New Fax-> To-> Select Recipients-> Find-> Look In->
> Windows Contact, Active Directory, Verisign Internet Directory Service all
> show up.
> Why would the latter to appear? That seems odd to me.
>
> 7) I always run WFS as Administrator to make sure permissions are not the
> problem.
>
> Please help. I am at a loss.
> One of my concerns is that WFS and Outlook Contact won’t work together in
> Vista x64.
> Can anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> As I’ve already found out, “Outlook Internet Fax Service” doesn’t work on
> Vista x64 told to me by a Windows Dialog Box, but I don’t think should be
> preventing me from bringing my Outlook Contacts into WFS.

      18th Feb 2009
I'm not sure how to "configure the Outlook Address Book Service correctly."
However, when I right click contacts, select properties, and then choose the
outlook address tab, "show this folder as an email address book" is selected
but grayed out.

An interesting note is that when I click File, then Folder, then Contact
properties Outlook crashes every time. What is that about? Though right
clicking on contacts and going to properties works. Do both of these go to
the same place?

Thanks,
Bret

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> [...]
> > directly it doesn’t work. It seems fine to me, but I thought I throw that
> > in
> > here.
> >
> > 6) WFS-> New Fax-> To-> Select Recipients-> Find-> Look In->
> > Windows Contact, Active Directory, Verisign Internet Directory Service all
> > show up.
> > Why would the latter to appear? That seems odd to me.
> >
> > 7) I always run WFS as Administrator to make sure permissions are not the
> > problem.
> >
> > Please help. I am at a loss.
> > One of my concerns is that WFS and Outlook Contact won’t work together in
> > Vista x64.
> > Can anyone confirm or deny this?
> >
> > As I’ve already found out, “Outlook Internet Fax Service” doesn’t work on
> > Vista x64 told to me by a Windows Dialog Box, but I don’t think should be
> > preventing me from bringing my Outlook Contacts into WFS.

That is certainly an "interesting note." It explains your problem. Now
provide the precise steps you used to corrupt your Outlook profile. You were
there. We weren't. We can't read minds. How to configure the Outlook Address
Book is basic information widely available:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
--
> [...]
>> > Windows Contact, Active Directory, Verisign Internet Directory Service
>> > all
>> > show up.
>> > Why would the latter to appear? That seems odd to me.
>> >
>> > 7) I always run WFS as Administrator to make sure permissions are not
>> > the
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > Please help. I am at a loss.
>> > One of my concerns is that WFS and Outlook Contact won’t work together
>> > in
>> > Vista x64.
>> > Can anyone confirm or deny this?
>> >
>> > As I’ve already found out, “Outlook Internet Fax Service” doesn’t work
>> > on
>> > Vista x64 told to me by a Windows Dialog Box, but I don’t think should
>> > be
>> > preventing me from bringing my Outlook Contacts into WFS.

I didn't realize it was corrupted.
I have hundreds of folders and nearly 1000 contacts.
Everything except for the issue mentioned seems to work flawless.
I don't understand why a corrupted .PST would act normal in all other ways.

I really don't think I did anything wrong.
Are there any known issues with Vista Ultimate x64 and Outlook 2007 w/
Business Contact Manager (Office Ultimate 2007).

Furthermore, if the PST File is corrupted, what would be the best way to
salvage all my emails, email folders, accounts, contacts, rules, etc. w/o
bringing the corruption into a new PST file?

Thanks,
Bret

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> That is certainly an "interesting note." It explains your problem. Now
> provide the precise steps you used to corrupt your Outlook profile. You were
> there. We weren't. We can't read minds. How to configure the Outlook Address
> Book is basic information widely available:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm not sure how to "configure the Outlook Address Book Service
> > correctly."
> > However, when I right click contacts, select properties, and then choose
> > the
> > outlook address tab, "show this folder as an email address book" is
> > selected
> > but grayed out.
> >
> > An interesting note is that when I click File, then Folder, then Contact
> > properties Outlook crashes every time. What is that about? Though right
> > clicking on contacts and going to properties works. Do both of these go
> > the same place?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bret
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Verify that you have configured the Outlook Address Book Service
> >> correctly.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      18th Feb 2009
I never said anything about a corrupted PST file. I said your Outlook
Address Book Service is corrupted. The only way to repair it in Outlook 2007
is to create a new Outlook profile from scratch. That's why know how you
configured the Outlook Address Book Service in the first place is important
to know so you don't make the same mistake next time.
The fact that you've added BCM muddies the waters even further. You should
ask in a BCM group whether using it for your fax address book is even
supported.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I didn't realize it was corrupted.
> I have hundreds of folders and nearly 1000 contacts.
> Everything except for the issue mentioned seems to work flawless.
> I don't understand why a corrupted .PST would act normal in all other
> ways.
>
> I really don't think I did anything wrong.
> Are there any known issues with Vista Ultimate x64 and Outlook 2007 w/
> Business Contact Manager (Office Ultimate 2007).
>
> Furthermore, if the PST File is corrupted, what would be the best way to
> salvage all my emails, email folders, accounts, contacts, rules, etc. w/o
> bringing the corruption into a new PST file?
>
> Thanks,
> Bret
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> That is certainly an "interesting note." It explains your problem. Now
>> provide the precise steps you used to corrupt your Outlook profile. You
>> were
>> there. We weren't. We can't read minds. How to configure the Outlook
>> Address
>> Book is basic information widely available:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm not sure how to "configure the Outlook Address Book Service
>> > correctly."
>> > However, when I right click contacts, select properties, and then
>> > choose
>> > the
>> > outlook address tab, "show this folder as an email address book" is
>> > selected
>> > but grayed out.
>> >
>> > An interesting note is that when I click File, then Folder, then
>> > Contact
>> > properties Outlook crashes every time. What is that about? Though
>> > right
>> > clicking on contacts and going to properties works. Do both of these
>> > go
>> > the same place?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Bret

tempelife

      18th Feb 2009
Thanks, Russ.

I created a new Address Book Service, which in turn meant I created a new
Profile.
On the new Profile, I did not setup BCM, and yet WFS still doesn't recognize
my new Outlook contacts.

I have not idea what's going on. Do you think in some way it is related to
being a x64 bit OS?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I never said anything about a corrupted PST file. I said your Outlook
> Address Book Service is corrupted. The only way to repair it in Outlook 2007
> is to create a new Outlook profile from scratch. That's why know how you
> configured the Outlook Address Book Service in the first place is important
> to know so you don't make the same mistake next time.
> The fact that you've added BCM muddies the waters even further. You should
> ask in a BCM group whether using it for your fax address book is even
> supported.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I didn't realize it was corrupted.
> > I have hundreds of folders and nearly 1000 contacts.
> > Everything except for the issue mentioned seems to work flawless.
> > I don't understand why a corrupted .PST would act normal in all other
> > ways.
> >
> > I really don't think I did anything wrong.
> > Are there any known issues with Vista Ultimate x64 and Outlook 2007 w/
> > Business Contact Manager (Office Ultimate 2007).
> >
> > Furthermore, if the PST File is corrupted, what would be the best way to
> > salvage all my emails, email folders, accounts, contacts, rules, etc. w/o
> > bringing the corruption into a new PST file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bret
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> That is certainly an "interesting note." It explains your problem. Now
> >> provide the precise steps you used to corrupt your Outlook profile. You
> >> were
> >> there. We weren't. We can't read minds. How to configure the Outlook
> >> Address
> >> Book is basic information widely available:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      18th Feb 2009
I doubt it has anything to do with 64 bit. Your post doesn't make sense.
Creating a new Address Book Service in no way creates a new profile. State
precisely what you did.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Russ.
>
> I created a new Address Book Service, which in turn meant I created a new
> Profile.
> On the new Profile, I did not setup BCM, and yet WFS still doesn't
> recognize
> my new Outlook contacts.
>
> I have not idea what's going on. Do you think in some way it is related
> being a x64 bit OS?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I never said anything about a corrupted PST file. I said your Outlook
>> Address Book Service is corrupted. The only way to repair it in Outlook
>> 2007
>> is to create a new Outlook profile from scratch. That's why know how you
>> configured the Outlook Address Book Service in the first place is
>> important
>> to know so you don't make the same mistake next time.
>> The fact that you've added BCM muddies the waters even further. You
>> should
>> ask in a BCM group whether using it for your fax address book is even
>> supported.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I didn't realize it was corrupted.
>> > I have hundreds of folders and nearly 1000 contacts.
>> > Everything except for the issue mentioned seems to work flawless.
>> > I don't understand why a corrupted .PST would act normal in all other
>> > ways.
>> >
>> > I really don't think I did anything wrong.
>> > Are there any known issues with Vista Ultimate x64 and Outlook 2007 w/
>> > Business Contact Manager (Office Ultimate 2007).
>> >
>> > Furthermore, if the PST File is corrupted, what would be the best way
>> > salvage all my emails, email folders, accounts, contacts, rules, etc.
>> > w/o
>> > bringing the corruption into a new PST file?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Bret

tempelife

      18th Feb 2009
Maybe I didn't do the right thing.

I went Control Panel-> 32-Bit-> Mail-> Profiles-> Add-> Then I named it
"Outlook2".
By doing so another PST file was created.
I chose to make it my default profile.

But it did not work with WFS.

However, I no longer had problem within Outlook clicking File-> Folders->
Contacts-> Properties meaning Outlook no longer crashed unexpectedly.

Thanks,
Bret

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I doubt it has anything to do with 64 bit. Your post doesn't make sense.
> Creating a new Address Book Service in no way creates a new profile. State
> precisely what you did.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, Russ.
> >
> > I created a new Address Book Service, which in turn meant I created a new
> > Profile.
> > On the new Profile, I did not setup BCM, and yet WFS still doesn't
> > recognize
> > my new Outlook contacts.
> >
> > I have not idea what's going on. Do you think in some way it is related
> > being a x64 bit OS?
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> I never said anything about a corrupted PST file. I said your Outlook
> >> Address Book Service is corrupted. The only way to repair it in Outlook
> >> 2007
> >> is to create a new Outlook profile from scratch. That's why know how you
> >> configured the Outlook Address Book Service in the first place is
> >> important
> >> to know so you don't make the same mistake next time.
> >> The fact that you've added BCM muddies the waters even further. You
> >> should
> >> ask in a BCM group whether using it for your fax address book is even
> >> supported.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "tempelife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      19th Feb 2009
If you created a new profile with a new PST file, there would be no
Contacts.