Windows Disk Management Console

Ken W

      12th Jan 2010
How do I get to the Windows Disk Management Console? I need to make a change.

R. C. White

      13th Jan 2010
Hi, Ken.

The "official" way is to click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools
| Computer Management | Disk Management. But this is a long click path and
it makes me feel like I'm working through a keyhole, because of all the
screen taken up by the wide frames of the Microsoft Management Console.

My favorite way is just to click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter.

Either way, you'll need Administrator credentials because this tool lets you
do some pretty serious things to your computer system. And, if you have
several HDDs, you may have to wait a minute or two while Disk Management
rounds up all the information to put on the screen.

Then Maximize the window so that you can see all that Disk Management is
trying to tell you, and widen at least the Status column so you can see some
of the important information there, such as which is/are the System and Boot
volumes. DM does not remember these settings; you'll have to do it again
each time you start it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA