Windows Defender won't update the definitions

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbg==?=

      14th Feb 2006
(Beta 2) install went fine but when I go to update the program I get a pop up
on the sys tray saying "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
0x8024002b."

Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?dG5ldGluYw==?=

      15th Feb 2006
I found DCOM errors in the system errorlog which helped me figure out it was
the autoupdater service: any listings in the app/system logs? Why they
removed the functional beta 1 from downloads before beta 2 was barely out
there is nuts! Makes you feel kinda birdshot in the face, guess they won't
release details for some time...
;>) tim
"dennis" wrote:

> I too have the same problem. Seems the updater is point to some SUS server
> which it cannot recognize or get past. Problem is now the previous version
> is uninstalled and not available to re-install.
>

> "Dean" wrote:
>
> > (Beta 2) install went fine but when I go to update the program I get a pop up
> > on the sys tray saying "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
> > 0x8024002b."
> >
> > Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?dG5ldGluYw==?=

      15th Feb 2006
I saw another thread posted that has a possible solution. It's titled Beta 2
updates problem... talks about a corrupt download during install and tells
how to manually remove the corrupt file, which uninstall doesn't do...Hmmm
FUBAR'd again ;>) tim

"Dean" wrote:

> (Beta 2) install went fine but when I go to update the program I get a pop up
> on the sys tray saying "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
> 0x8024002b."
>
> Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?Q29saW4gRGlqa2dyYWFm?=

      15th Feb 2006
Just visit the Windows Update pages, and it will have that as an update for
you to download.

"Dean" wrote:

> (Beta 2) install went fine but when I go to update the program I get a pop up
> on the sys tray saying "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
> 0x8024002b."
>
> Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?R2xlbg==?=

      17th Feb 2006
I just installed the new windows defender and was getting error cannot
install updates got a little balloon telling me "Windows Defender was unable
to complete the update: 0x8024402c

I found the fix for this is very simple just use your windows update in your
start menu or http://update.microsoft.com then download defender update + its
fixed.

"tnetinc" wrote:

> I saw another thread posted that has a possible solution. It's titled Beta 2
> updates problem... talks about a corrupt download during install and tells
> how to manually remove the corrupt file, which uninstall doesn't do...Hmmm
> FUBAR'd again ;>) tim
>
> "Dean" wrote:
>
> > (Beta 2) install went fine but when I go to update the program I get a pop up
> > on the sys tray saying "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
> > 0x8024002b."
> >
> > Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?V2luc3B5?=

      26th Feb 2006
In one of the posts of 2/21/2006 Engel wrote the helping link !
> Go to this address : http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=915105
> Then look under RESOLUTION and follow the steps to remove the current
> signature file via START, RUN and the long file name. It takes a while and
> you will see different smal windows where you have to confirm YES to delete
> the file. Afterwards you can start Windows Defender and ask for the
> definition update.
> It takes some seconds and the yellow shield is gone ... wish you succes !

This is the 100% solution and be sure not being in the process of installing
new update. RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION

"Colin Dijkgraaf" wrote:

> Just visit the Windows Update pages, and it will have that as an update for
> you to download.
>
> "Dean" wrote:
>
> > (Beta 2) install went fine but when I go to update the program I get a pop up
> > on the sys tray saying "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
> > 0x8024002b."
> >
> > Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?ZWRiaWFuYw==?=

      27th Feb 2006
I have tried this multiple times and still get the error "0x8024002b".
Defender Version 1.1.1051.0, engin version 1.1.1185.0, signature version
1.0.0.0

Does anyone else have the problem when following the resolution steps??

"Winspy" wrote:

> In one of the posts of 2/21/2006 Engel wrote the helping link !
> > Go to this address : http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=915105
> > Then look under RESOLUTION and follow the steps to remove the current
> > signature file via START, RUN and the long file name. It takes a while and
> > you will see different smal windows where you have to confirm YES to delete
> > the file. Afterwards you can start Windows Defender and ask for the
> > definition update.
> > It takes some seconds and the yellow shield is gone ... wish you succes !
> >

> This is the 100% solution and be sure not being in the process of installing
> new update. RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION
>
> "Colin Dijkgraaf" wrote:
>
> > Just visit the Windows Update pages, and it will have that as an update for
> > you to download.
> >
> > "Dean" wrote:
> >
> > > (Beta 2) install went fine but when I go to update the program I get a pop up
> > > on the sys tray saying "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
> > > 0x8024002b."
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?ZWRiaWFuYw==?=

      27th Feb 2006
The solution by "neylamj" to do a auto windows update, solved my issue. There
was a Defender update included in the Windows express update check.

"edbianc" wrote:

> I have tried this multiple times and still get the error "0x8024002b".
> Defender Version 1.1.1051.0, engin version 1.1.1185.0, signature version
> 1.0.0.0
>
> Does anyone else have the problem when following the resolution steps??
>
> "Winspy" wrote:
>
> > In one of the posts of 2/21/2006 Engel wrote the helping link !
> > > Go to this address : http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=915105
> > > Then look under RESOLUTION and follow the steps to remove the current
> > > signature file via START, RUN and the long file name. It takes a while and
> > > you will see different smal windows where you have to confirm YES to delete
> > > the file. Afterwards you can start Windows Defender and ask for the
> > > definition update.
> > > It takes some seconds and the yellow shield is gone ... wish you succes !
> > >

> > This is the 100% solution and be sure not being in the process of installing
> > new update. RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION
> >
> > "Colin Dijkgraaf" wrote:
> >
> > > Just visit the Windows Update pages, and it will have that as an update for
> > > you to download.

Bill Sanderson

      27th Feb 2006
If you are on a managed network where access to autoupdate is restricted by
policy, then this KB article won't help.

Can you go to WindowsUpdate?

--

"edbianc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have tried this multiple times and still get the error "0x8024002b".
> Defender Version 1.1.1051.0, engin version 1.1.1185.0, signature version
> 1.0.0.0
>
> Does anyone else have the problem when following the resolution steps??
>
> "Winspy" wrote:
>
>> In one of the posts of 2/21/2006 Engel wrote the helping link !
>> > Go to this address :
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=915105
>> > Then look under RESOLUTION and follow the steps to remove the current
>> > signature file via START, RUN and the long file name. It takes a while
>> > and
>> > you will see different smal windows where you have to confirm YES to
>> > delete
>> > the file. Afterwards you can start Windows Defender and ask for the
>> > definition update.
>> > It takes some seconds and the yellow shield is gone ... wish you succes
>> > !
>> >

>> This is the 100% solution and be sure not being in the process of
>> installing
>> new update. RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION-RESOLUTION
>>
>> "Colin Dijkgraaf" wrote:
>>
>> > Just visit the Windows Update pages, and it will have that as an update
>> > for
>> > you to download.

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9ybWFuIFN0b2NrIC0gVUs=?=

      28th Feb 2006
This is exactly my problem Bill, "network policy settings prevent you from
using this website to get updates for your computer"

Shoret of getting out network guys to change the rules (which they almost
certainly won't) seems like I am stuffed :-)