Windows Defender won't update! 0x8007064c WD was unable to

=?Utf-8?B?cmF0Y2hldA==?=

      18th Feb 2006
complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this product
is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
Thank you for help!

Bill Sanderson

      21st Feb 2006
Are you offered updates at WindowsUpdate? If so, can you install them?

--

"ratchet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this
> product
> is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
> Thank you for help!

Bill Sanderson

      21st Feb 2006
Well - that was a little adventure. I grabbed a laptop and started it in
Windows XP SP2, safe mode. I was impressed to see that the Windows Defender
Service started in safe mode, so I tried both the MSASCUI.exe gui program
and MPCMDrun.exe--the command line program that does scanning.

I did mpcmdrun.exe scan scantype 1

and then ran msascui.exe, and observed the quickscan--all that seemed to be
fine.

What was not fine was that the install indicated that the sigs had never
been updated--1.00.00.

So, after the quickscan, I restarted normally, and found it remained with
that appearance. I checked my Microsoft Update history and found that
indeed, two sets of updates had been installed successfully a few days ago.

Something is rotten... So I dropped to a command prompt and played around
with the as_sigs.msi file in \program files\windows defender. Ran it (no
change.) Did msiexec /x as_sigs.msi, followed by as_sigs.msi--and things
seemed to perk up--suddenly the UI went green and the dates and versions
were back where they should have been.

So--safe mode scanning on XP should be functional, but strange things may
happen, as well..

--

"ratchet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this
> product
> is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
> Thank you for help!

Bill Sanderson

      21st Feb 2006
Sorry--wrong thread.

=?Utf-8?B?cmF0Y2hldA==?=

      21st Feb 2006

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Are you offered updates at WindowsUpdate? If so, can you install them?
>
> --
>
> "ratchet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this
> > product
> > is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
> > Thank you for help!

> I had tried that to no avail.

=?Utf-8?B?cmF0Y2hldA==?=

      23rd Feb 2006

"ratchet" wrote:

> complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this product
> is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
> Thank you for help!

Well, I couldn't take the pressure and downloaded Defender again tonight and
got the same error!

Bill Sanderson

      23rd Feb 2006
Is the machine up to date on all critical security patches?

--

"ratchet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ratchet" wrote:
>
>> complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this
>> product
>> is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
>> Thank you for help!

> Well, I couldn't take the pressure and downloaded Defender again tonight
> and
> got the same error!

=?Utf-8?B?cmF0Y2hldA==?=

      24th Feb 2006

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Is the machine up to date on all critical security patches?
>
> --
>
> "ratchet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > "ratchet" wrote:
> >
> >> complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this
> >> product
> >> is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it.
> >> Thank you for help!

> > Well, I couldn't take the pressure and downloaded Defender again tonight
> > and
> > got the same error!

> Yes it is!

Bill Sanderson

      28th Feb 2006
I'm at a loss on this one. Consider re-doing windows installer 3.1, and
doing an update or repair install of Windows Defender?

(control panel, add or remove programs, windows defender

change, update

or
(click here for support informatio), repair.

--

"ratchet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> Is the machine up to date on all critical security patches?
>>
>> --
>>
>> "ratchet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Well, I couldn't take the pressure and downloaded Defender again
>> > tonight
>> > and
>> > got the same error!

>> Yes it is!

=?Utf-8?B?TmF0ZQ==?=

      20th May 2006
>I had the same error code after doing a reinstallation. Solution was an
update to Windows Installer 3.1v2. Then running the windows installer to
remove the Windows Defender definitions. Then open Windows Defender to check
for updates, works okay now.