Windows Defender Won't Install

Steve Mavronis

      23rd Oct 2008
On my Dad's laptop running Windows XP, I can't get Windows Defender to
install because it falsely thinks a previous version is installed so setup
won't continue with uninstalling the old version first. Actually it is sort
of being faked out because the laptop had gotten the XP Antivirus 2009
malware on it and my brother used System Restore to take it back a week
before this happened but he had also removed Windows Defender before doing
that. We were able to manually remove the malware so that part is now fixed.
But the part that messed up is because my brother had also mistakenly
uninstalled Windows Defender (which had errors due to the malware
interfering) via Add/Remove Programs before he ran System Restore to take
the registry back a week before. So the Windows Registry settings still
thinks that Windows Defender is still installed even though the program was
actually uninstalled beforehand if you see what I mean. How can I remove all
old Windows Defender related registry entries or at least the ones affecting
re-installing Defender that is telling it that a previous version is
installed because of the system restore process after Defender was removed?
I would like to get Windows Defender back on my Dad's laptop again to help
protect him from Spyware.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Mavronis

      23rd Oct 2008
Typos - the malware program was actually called XP Antispyware 2009. I
corrected typos below within quotes:

"Steve Mavronis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On my Dad's laptop running Windows XP, I can't get Windows Defender to
> install because it falsely thinks a previous version is installed so setup
> won't continue "without" uninstalling the old version first. Actually it
> is sort of being faked out because the laptop had gotten the "XP
> Antispyware 2009" malware on it and my brother used System Restore to take
> it back a week before this happened but he had also removed Windows
> Defender before doing that. We were able to manually remove the malware so
> that part is now fixed. But the part that messed up is because my brother
> had also mistakenly uninstalled Windows Defender (which had errors due to
> the malware interfering) via Add/Remove Programs before he ran System
> Restore to take the registry back a week before. So the Windows Registry
> settings still thinks that Windows Defender is still installed even though
> the program was actually uninstalled beforehand if you see what I mean.
> How can I remove all old Windows Defender related registry entries or at
> least the ones affecting re-installing Defender that is telling it that a
> previous version is installed because of the system restore process after
> Defender was removed? I would like to get Windows Defender back on my
> Dad's laptop again to help protect him from Spyware.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Dave M

      23rd Oct 2008
Hi Steve;

See if KB555957's advice on un-installing Windows Defender in XP will help.
Do not try this on a Vista System where Defender is generally not removable.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957
--
Regards, Dave

"Steve Mavronis" wrote:

> Typos - the malware program was actually called XP Antispyware 2009. I
> corrected typos below within quotes:
>
> "Steve Mavronis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On my Dad's laptop running Windows XP, I can't get Windows Defender to
> > install because it falsely thinks a previous version is installed so setup
> > won't continue "without" uninstalling the old version first. Actually it
> > is sort of being faked out because the laptop had gotten the "XP
> > Antispyware 2009" malware on it and my brother used System Restore to take
> > it back a week before this happened but he had also removed Windows
> > Defender before doing that. We were able to manually remove the malware so
> > that part is now fixed. But the part that messed up is because my brother
> > had also mistakenly uninstalled Windows Defender (which had errors due to
> > the malware interfering) via Add/Remove Programs before he ran System
> > Restore to take the registry back a week before. So the Windows Registry
> > settings still thinks that Windows Defender is still installed even though
> > the program was actually uninstalled beforehand if you see what I mean.
> > How can I remove all old Windows Defender related registry entries or at
> > least the ones affecting re-installing Defender that is telling it that a
> > previous version is installed because of the system restore process after
> > Defender was removed? I would like to get Windows Defender back on my
> > Dad's laptop again to help protect him from Spyware.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve

Steve Mavronis

      23rd Oct 2008
That doesn't work because there is no file to run that uninstall command on.
Like I said the files were uninstalled by my brother before system restore
was run to take it back a week, therefore the XP registry from that previous
week old restore point thinks Defender is still installed settings-wise even
though the files are missing.

Steve

"Dave M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Steve;
>
> See if KB555957's advice on un-installing Windows Defender in XP will
> help.
> Do not try this on a Vista System where Defender is generally not
> removable.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957
> --
> Regards, Dave
>

> "Steve Mavronis" wrote:
>
>> Typos - the malware program was actually called XP Antispyware 2009. I
>> corrected typos below within quotes:
>>
>> "Steve Mavronis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On my Dad's laptop running Windows XP, I can't get Windows Defender to
>> > install because it falsely thinks a previous version is installed so
>> > setup
>> > won't continue "without" uninstalling the old version first. Actually
>> > it
>> > is sort of being faked out because the laptop had gotten the "XP
>> > Antispyware 2009" malware on it and my brother used System Restore to
>> > take
>> > it back a week before this happened but he had also removed Windows
>> > Defender before doing that. We were able to manually remove the malware
>> > so
>> > that part is now fixed. But the part that messed up is because my
>> > brother
>> > had also mistakenly uninstalled Windows Defender (which had errors due
>> > the malware interfering) via Add/Remove Programs before he ran System
>> > Restore to take the registry back a week before. So the Windows
>> > Registry
>> > settings still thinks that Windows Defender is still installed even
>> > though
>> > the program was actually uninstalled beforehand if you see what I mean.
>> > How can I remove all old Windows Defender related registry entries or
>> > at
>> > least the ones affecting re-installing Defender that is telling it that
>> > previous version is installed because of the system restore process
>> > after
>> > Defender was removed? I would like to get Windows Defender back on my
>> > Dad's laptop again to help protect him from Spyware.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Steve

nass

      23rd Oct 2008

"Steve Mavronis" wrote:

> On my Dad's laptop running Windows XP, I can't get Windows Defender to
> install because it falsely thinks a previous version is installed so setup
> won't continue with uninstalling the old version first. Actually it is sort
> of being faked out because the laptop had gotten the XP Antivirus 2009
> malware on it and my brother used System Restore to take it back a week
> before this happened but he had also removed Windows Defender before doing
> that. We were able to manually remove the malware so that part is now fixed.
> But the part that messed up is because my brother had also mistakenly
> uninstalled Windows Defender (which had errors due to the malware
> interfering) via Add/Remove Programs before he ran System Restore to take
> the registry back a week before. So the Windows Registry settings still
> thinks that Windows Defender is still installed even though the program was
> actually uninstalled beforehand if you see what I mean. How can I remove all
> old Windows Defender related registry entries or at least the ones affecting
> re-installing Defender that is telling it that a previous version is
> installed because of the system restore process after Defender was removed?
> I would like to get Windows Defender back on my Dad's laptop again to help
> protect him from Spyware.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Run disk clean up on your Drive.
You can download this tool o run clean up:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
Use both App and Registry option to clean u Orphans left from old
uninstalled software.

Read this thread
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...sloc=en-us&p=1

HTH,