Windows Defender Update

=?Utf-8?B?SGFuZG9rbw==?=

      10th Nov 2006
Could anyone tell me how to update my Windows Defender definition
files offline ?

Could I dowload the update just like antivirus virus definitions
update file ?

One more, Windows Defender cannot be updated through proxy servers
with password security. Any solution ?

Thank you.

Bill Sanderson MVP

      10th Nov 2006
A workaround for the proxy servers is to allow free access to
update.microsoft.com, I believe.

For manual updates--see the URL's that Engel posts regularly--most recently
in the post directly adjacent to yours.

Interestingly, (or not)--this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11952

appears to have a link to the information you are looking for--in KB article
923159--but that article is not available. Looks like it was published on
October 25th, and has since been recalled.

--

"Handoko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could anyone tell me how to update my Windows Defender definition
> files offline ?
>
> Could I dowload the update just like antivirus virus definitions
> update file ?
>
> One more, Windows Defender cannot be updated through proxy servers
> with password security. Any solution ?
>
> Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBNYW50eg==?=

      16th Nov 2006
Hi,

i have the same Problem, i use WindowsLiveOneCare and i can't update the
definition.

Please help!

Michael

Bill Sanderson MVP

      16th Nov 2006
Is your problem with Windows Live OneCare, or Windows Defender, or both?

If it is OneCare, have you tried their support?

--

"Michael Mantz" <Michael (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> i have the same Problem, i use WindowsLiveOneCare and i can't update the
> definition.
>
> Please help!
>
> Michael

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBNYW50eg==?=

      16th Nov 2006
Hi,

my problem is in Windows Live OneCare, i can't update the antispyware
definition, i asked in the one care forums and they sent me here to ask for
help.

regards

Michael

P.S. this is hou it looks like tuesday http://mmantz.de/defender.jpg
i had some trouble installing my bt usb stick and i had to install my backup
from okt 23, i had to do that a few times, now the bt stick works fine, but i
can't update the definition for antispyware, only 1x worked the update, but
since i had problems with the bt stick, i had to install the backup but the
update wan't work anymore :/

Bill Sanderson MVP

      16th Nov 2006
Are you on version 1.5 of OneCare--can you check the version number via
Help, About?

If you are on the version which integrates the antispyware into OneCare, I'm
not sure I know the locations of the files involved for this fix--I don't
presently have a machine with that version installed.

Here's what I think should work for you:

go to a command prompt in the folder Windows Defender is installed
in--typically this is c:\program files\windows defender.

If you don't have a Windows Defender folder--do a search under program files
for mpcmdrun.exe.

In the folder in which mpcmdrun.exe is located:

mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions -All

mpcmdrun -SignatureUpdate

(hit enter between, waint for completion then do the next one--the second
one will take some time--perhaps 5 minutes or more.)

Let's see if that does the trick.

--

"Michael Mantz" <Michael (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> my problem is in Windows Live OneCare, i can't update the antispyware
> definition, i asked in the one care forums and they sent me here to ask
> for
> help.
>
> regards
>
> Michael
>
> P.S. this is hou it looks like tuesday http://mmantz.de/defender.jpg
> i had some trouble installing my bt usb stick and i had to install my
> backup
> from okt 23, i had to do that a few times, now the bt stick works fine,
> but i
> can't update the definition for antispyware, only 1x worked the update,
> but
> since i had problems with the bt stick, i had to install the backup but
> the
> update wan't work anymore :/

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBNYW50eg==?=

      16th Nov 2006
Hi,

the first one was ok, but when i do the second one, it takes one second and
it ends...

Regards

Michael

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBNYW50eg==?=

      16th Nov 2006
oh i forgot, onecare version 1.5.1851.8

Bill Sanderson MVP

      16th Nov 2006
OK--so it sounds like you found the executable in the expected
location--thanks for confirming that. I ran that version of OneCare for a
short time on Vista, but I had some troubles with its firewall and my
wireless set up and I ripped it out rather quickly.

This sounds like a problem with AutoUpdate at this point.

What happens if you go to Windows (or Microsoft) Update and do an express
scan?

That should bring you current definitions.

Are you aware of any problems with AutoUpdate on this system?

Is it current with all critical patches?

--

"Michael Mantz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> oh i forgot, onecare version 1.5.1851.8

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBNYW50eg==?=

      16th Nov 2006
i made aesterday a update, november stuff was updated, where can i make this
express scan, i can't find it on the update page of microsoft...