Windows Defender unexpected 'error 0x8050800c'

mon

      20th May 2008
Looks as though no-one has had 'error 0x8050800c' in Defender for quite a
while.
I am running XP pro Sp3.
Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0
Engine Version: 1.1.3520.0
Definition Version: 1.33.9651.0
Every scan crashes with unexpected 'error 0x8050800c'.
Any ideas?

Engel

      20th May 2008
Hello mon,

Maybe you could try doing CHKDSK and see if it corrects the problem.
-- - - -

Few questions

Do you have Windows Live OneCare installed?

What do you see in the system event logs around the time of the crash???
Can you check the event log (start | run | eventvwr) and look at the
System log for any error messages from "Windefend" ? There should be an error
entry with some more information.

What action brings up that message?
Manually or Automatic Scan.
Quick or Full scan

So does the same thing happen when you reboot into Safe Mode and run a scan?

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along sººn
- -- ---

"mon" wrote:

> Looks as though no-one has had 'error 0x8050800c' in Defender for quite a
> while.
> I am running XP pro Sp3.
> Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0
> Engine Version: 1.1.3520.0
> Definition Version: 1.33.9651.0
> Every scan crashes with unexpected 'error 0x8050800c'.
> Any ideas?

mon

      21st May 2008
Will try the CHKDSK and let u know.

Auto and manual quick scans crash.

Will try it safe mode.

Rgds
Mon

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello mon,
>

> Maybe you could try doing CHKDSK and see if it corrects the problem.
> -- - - -
>

> Few questions
>
> Do you have Windows Live OneCare installed?
>

> What do you see in the system event logs around the time of the crash???
> Can you check the event log (start | run | eventvwr) and look at the
> System log for any error messages from "Windefend" ? There should be an error
> entry with some more information.
>

> What action brings up that message?
> Manually or Automatic Scan.
> Quick or Full scan
>

> So does the same thing happen when you reboot into Safe Mode and run a scan?
>
> I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along sººn
> - -- ---
>

> "mon" wrote:
>
> > Looks as though no-one has had 'error 0x8050800c' in Defender for quite a
> > while.
> > I am running XP pro Sp3.
> > Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0
> > Engine Version: 1.1.3520.0
> > Definition Version: 1.33.9651.0
> > Every scan crashes with unexpected 'error 0x8050800c'.
> > Any ideas?

mon

      22nd May 2008
Thanks for all your advice, but I am no longer able to reproduce this error.
Will post again if it resurfaces.

Chkdsk was good.
No onecare installed.
Didn't try safemode as i could no longer reproduce the error.

Rgds,

Mon

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello mon,
>

> Maybe you could try doing CHKDSK and see if it corrects the problem.
> -- - - -
>

> Few questions
>
> Do you have Windows Live OneCare installed?
>

> What do you see in the system event logs around the time of the crash???
> Can you check the event log (start | run | eventvwr) and look at the
> System log for any error messages from "Windefend" ? There should be an error
> entry with some more information.
>

> What action brings up that message?
> Manually or Automatic Scan.
> Quick or Full scan
>

> So does the same thing happen when you reboot into Safe Mode and run a scan?
>
> I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along sººn
> - -- ---
>

> "mon" wrote:
>
> > Looks as though no-one has had 'error 0x8050800c' in Defender for quite a
> > while.
> > I am running XP pro Sp3.
> > Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0
> > Engine Version: 1.1.3520.0
> > Definition Version: 1.33.9651.0
> > Every scan crashes with unexpected 'error 0x8050800c'.
> > Any ideas?

Richiepoobubblesbonbonpercyfilth

      28th Jul 2008
i ran CHDSK but (F parameter not specified
Running CHKDSK in read only mode)

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello mon,
>

> Maybe you could try doing CHKDSK and see if it corrects the problem.
> -- - - -

> Few questions
>
> Do you have Windows Live OneCare installed?
>

> What do you see in the system event logs around the time of the crash???
> Can you check the event log (start | run | eventvwr) and look at the
> System log for any error messages from "Windefend" ? There should be an error
> entry with some more information.
>

> What action brings up that message?
> Manually or Automatic Scan.
> Quick or Full scan
>

> So does the same thing happen when you reboot into Safe Mode and run a scan?
>
> I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along sººn
> - -- ---
>

> "mon" wrote:
>
> > Looks as though no-one has had 'error 0x8050800c' in Defender for quite a
> > while.
> > I am running XP pro Sp3.
> > Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0
> > Engine Version: 1.1.3520.0
> > Definition Version: 1.33.9651.0
> > Every scan crashes with unexpected 'error 0x8050800c'.
> > Any ideas?

Bill Sanderson

      1st Aug 2008
and did it find any errors? If it did, you will need to run it again with
/F. In all likelyhood, you will need to let it schedule itself to run on
next startup.

You should then immediately restart the system and run the chkdsk--allow
some time for this. If you forget to do it now, it will happen
unexpectedly....

"Richiepoobubblesbonbonpercyfilth"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...