Windows Defender Real Time Protection

=?Utf-8?B?QmlnR3V5?=

      22nd Jun 2007
I do not know if Real Time Protection is running. I looked up how to turn it
on and was told to go to Windows Defender click on option and click Real Time
Protection. Under options I have nothing about Real Time Protection. It is
set for scanning auto for daily at a specific time. Can someone tell me how
to find out if Real Time Protectionn is running.

Thanking you in advance for your answers. BigGuy
--
Shoot for the moon if you miss you land amoung the stars. ~ Les Brown

Robinb

      22nd Jun 2007
when you scroll down in WD you need to put a check mark in Real Time
protection options
use real time protection (recommended)
there is a scroll bar on the right and sometimes it looks like it only goes
a bit down when you first turn on the program but it actually goes all the
way down (i think MS should have made this bar a different color for users
to see it.

Also if you go into control panel/administrative tools/services
and scroll down till you see windows defender- it should say across
"started" and automatic.

Also if you set it to scan daily and check to see if it did then you will
know it is working in realtime too.
and if you check off in Choose if WD should notify you about:
software that has not been classified for risks and changes made to your
computer by software that is permitted to run (check marks) and when you add
new software or make any changes and WD doesn't popup and yell you will know
something is wrong.

robin

robin

"BigGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I do not know if Real Time Protection is running. I looked up how to turn
>it
> on and was told to go to Windows Defender click on option and click Real
> Time
> Protection. Under options I have nothing about Real Time Protection. It
> is
> set for scanning auto for daily at a specific time. Can someone tell me
> how
> to find out if Real Time Protectionn is running.
>
> Thanking you in advance for your answers. BigGuy
> --
> Shoot for the moon if you miss you land amoung the stars. ~ Les Brown

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      22nd Jun 2007
Hello BG,

Also, if you want to see Real Time Protection in action, try the EICAR the
test file...

From Joe Faulhaber [MSFT]:
"We've had EICAR in our definitions for about two months now, which also
means we're not communicating the content of the definitions very well, but
that's another issue.

For those of you who want to know what we're talking about, the EICAR group
came up with a harmless file detected by antivirus products so you can
safely verify the product's working. If you haven't seen Windows Defender
detect something, visit http://eicar.org, download the 68 byte file
eicar.com.txt, and copy it to your startup folder. Your AV solution (that
you should be running in addition to Windows Defender) will also pick it
up."

By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the answer more quickly,
you give the
person who posted the answer credit for their contribution, and you help
increase the quality of answers in the discussion group.

ƎƝǦΞᴌ
--

BELIEF
A man must not swallow more beliefs than he can digest. -----Havelock Ellis

"BigGuy" wrote:

> I do not know if Real Time Protection is running. I looked up how to turn it
> on and was told to go to Windows Defender click on option and click Real Time
> Protection. Under options I have nothing about Real Time Protection. It is
> set for scanning auto for daily at a specific time. Can someone tell me how
> to find out if Real Time Protectionn is running.
>
> Thanking you in advance for your answers. BigGuy
> --
> Shoot for the moon if you miss you land amoung the stars. ~ Les Brown

Bill Sanderson MVP

      22nd Jun 2007
It is on by default. The try icon is, in some cases, set to only display if
there is a problem which requires user interaction, so that can be confusing
to some.

To see the options in Tools, Options, you need to scroll down using the
scroll bar on the window. If you read carefully, you can also find the
option to display the tray icon at all times, if that will be reassuring.

Engel's suggestion to use the Eicar test string is an excellent one---this
is a great and safe way to see whether your anti-malware software is working
at a basic level, and what an alert will look like.

--

"BigGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I do not know if Real Time Protection is running. I looked up how to turn
>it
> on and was told to go to Windows Defender click on option and click Real
> Time
> Protection. Under options I have nothing about Real Time Protection. It
> is
> set for scanning auto for daily at a specific time. Can someone tell me
> how
> to find out if Real Time Protectionn is running.
>
> Thanking you in advance for your answers. BigGuy
> --
> Shoot for the moon if you miss you land amoung the stars. ~ Les Brown

Robinb

      22nd Jun 2007
just be on alert because your virus protection might jump ahead of WD and
scream first
robin
"Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello BG,
>
> Also, if you want to see Real Time Protection in action, try the EICAR the
> test file...
>
> From Joe Faulhaber [MSFT]:
> "We've had EICAR in our definitions for about two months now, which also
> means we're not communicating the content of the definitions very well,
> but
> that's another issue.
>
> For those of you who want to know what we're talking about, the EICAR
> group
> came up with a harmless file detected by antivirus products so you can
> safely verify the product's working. If you haven't seen Windows Defender
> detect something, visit http://eicar.org, download the 68 byte file
> eicar.com.txt, and copy it to your startup folder. Your AV solution (that
> you should be running in addition to Windows Defender) will also pick it
> up."
>

> By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the answer more
> quickly,
> you give the
> person who posted the answer credit for their contribution, and you help
> increase the quality of answers in the discussion group.
>

> ??G??
> --
>

> BELIEF
> A man must not swallow more beliefs than he can digest. -----Havelock
> Ellis
>

> "BigGuy" wrote:
>
>> I do not know if Real Time Protection is running. I looked up how to
>> turn it
>> on and was told to go to Windows Defender click on option and click Real
>> Time
>> Protection. Under options I have nothing about Real Time Protection. It
>> is
>> set for scanning auto for daily at a specific time. Can someone tell me
>> how
>> to find out if Real Time Protectionn is running.
>>
>> Thanking you in advance for your answers. BigGuy
>> --
>> Shoot for the moon if you miss you land amoung the stars. ~ Les Brown

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIEg=?=

      22nd Jun 2007
Hi BigGuy and hi to all that answered the questions for him, i sent him here
from Home users. Glad you found the right place, Welcome Ron