Windows Defender + Norton AV

nybarton

      18th Jan 2007
I have Win Defender installed (MSAScui.exe) and it appears to be operating
on the weekly schedule I've set up as the log indicates the weekly scans and
reports "no unwanted or harmful software detected". However, there is
another executable file in the Defender folder called MSMPENG.EXE which
Norton deems to have unauthorized access. Norton's action is to stop this
unauthorized access, and the Norton activity log shows this action takes
place several times a day, every day. The target of this other Defender
executable program are several different Symantec files in either the Common
Files/Shared or LiveUpdate, etc.

Can someone please tell me what all this means. Thanks.

Val

      18th Jan 2007
I really don't think Norton and W Defender play nicely together. On a
machine with corporate version of NAV, I frequently get alerts that Defender
is "tampering" with NAV's files. Guess NAV doesn't like being peeked at?
Is it bashful?

I have to use NAV at work, but have chosen to eliminate it from all my
personal machines. It puts it tentacles in too many places.

Val

"nybarton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Win Defender installed (MSAScui.exe) and it appears to be operating
>on the weekly schedule I've set up as the log indicates the weekly scans
>and reports "no unwanted or harmful software detected". However, there is
>another executable file in the Defender folder called MSMPENG.EXE which
>Norton deems to have unauthorized access. Norton's action is to stop this
>unauthorized access, and the Norton activity log shows this action takes
>place several times a day, every day. The target of this other Defender
>executable program are several different Symantec files in either the
>Common Files/Shared or LiveUpdate, etc.
>
> Can someone please tell me what all this means. Thanks.

Gerry Cornell

      18th Jan 2007

Val

You forgot to mention the hypnotic trance it puts system performance
in!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Val" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I really don't think Norton and W Defender play nicely together. On
>a machine with corporate version of NAV, I frequently get alerts that
>Defender is "tampering" with NAV's files. Guess NAV doesn't like
>being peeked at? Is it bashful?
>
> I have to use NAV at work, but have chosen to eliminate it from all
> my personal machines. It puts it tentacles in too many places.
>
> Val
>
> "nybarton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have Win Defender installed (MSAScui.exe) and it appears to be
>>operating on the weekly schedule I've set up as the log indicates
>>the weekly scans and reports "no unwanted or harmful software
>>detected". However, there is another executable file in the Defender
>>folder called MSMPENG.EXE which Norton deems to have unauthorized
>>access. Norton's action is to stop this unauthorized access, and the
>>Norton activity log shows this action takes place several times a
>>day, every day. The target of this other Defender executable program
>>are several different Symantec files in either the Common
>>Files/Shared or LiveUpdate, etc.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me what all this means. Thanks.

nybarton

      18th Jan 2007
Thanks Val, and Gerry, glad you mentioned the "hypnotic trance". My
computer has been very sluggish since Defender was installed, and during
certain times (like between 10:00pm through 1:00am) it operates at a virtual
snail's pace. I couldn't figure out the computer was slowing down since I
haven't scheduled any scans during those times, but after checking the
Defender logs, I couldn't believe how many attempted accesses by the
Defender MSMPENG.EXE file were stopped by NAV, and perhaps that is the
reason (?). With respect to NAV, I would not like to remove it from my
system as I wouldn't know what would replace it. It does appear to do a
credible job of catching viruses (and it has on several occasions) and it
will not allow any software installations without my approval.

Perhaps I should get rid of Windows Defender??? Thanks for your input.

Marilyn

"Gerry Cornell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Val
>
> You forgot to mention the hypnotic trance it puts system performance in!
>

> --
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Val" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I really don't think Norton and W Defender play nicely together. On a
>>machine with corporate version of NAV, I frequently get alerts that
>>Defender is "tampering" with NAV's files. Guess NAV doesn't like being
>>peeked at? Is it bashful?
>>
>> I have to use NAV at work, but have chosen to eliminate it from all my
>> personal machines. It puts it tentacles in too many places.
>>
>> Val
>>
>> "nybarton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have Win Defender installed (MSAScui.exe) and it appears to be
>>>operating on the weekly schedule I've set up as the log indicates the
>>>weekly scans and reports "no unwanted or harmful software detected".
>>>However, there is another executable file in the Defender folder called
>>>MSMPENG.EXE which Norton deems to have unauthorized access. Norton's
>>>action is to stop this unauthorized access, and the Norton activity log
>>>shows this action takes place several times a day, every day. The target
>>>of this other Defender executable program are several different Symantec
>>>files in either the Common Files/Shared or LiveUpdate, etc.
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me what all this means. Thanks.

Gerry Cornell

      18th Jan 2007
Marilyn

Norton is easily replaced but not so easily removed. There are a
number of freeware options. Remember security comprises taking a
number of precautions.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Both Norton and McAfee take all the zip out of a comuters performance.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nybarton wrote:
> Thanks Val, and Gerry, glad you mentioned the "hypnotic trance". My
> computer has been very sluggish since Defender was installed, and
> during certain times (like between 10:00pm through 1:00am) it
> operates at a virtual snail's pace. I couldn't figure out the
> computer was slowing down since I haven't scheduled any scans during
> those times, but after checking the Defender logs, I couldn't
> believe
> how many attempted accesses by the Defender MSMPENG.EXE file were
> stopped by NAV, and perhaps that is the reason (?). With respect to
> NAV, I would not like to remove it from my system as I wouldn't know
> what would replace it. It does appear to do a credible job of
> catching viruses (and it has on several occasions) and it will not
> allow any software installations without my approval.
> Perhaps I should get rid of Windows Defender??? Thanks for your
> input.
> Marilyn
>
> "Gerry Cornell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Val
>>
>> You forgot to mention the hypnotic trance it puts system
>> performance
>> in! --
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> "Val" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I really don't think Norton and W Defender play nicely together.
>>> On a machine with corporate version of NAV, I frequently get
>>> alerts
>>> that Defender is "tampering" with NAV's files. Guess NAV doesn't
>>> like being peeked at? Is it bashful?
>>>
>>> I have to use NAV at work, but have chosen to eliminate it from
>>> all
>>> my personal machines. It puts it tentacles in too many places.
>>>
>>> Val
>>>
>>> "nybarton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ron Martell

      19th Jan 2007
"nybarton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Perhaps I should get rid of Windows Defender??? Thanks for your input.
>
>Marilyn

Nope. Get rid of Norton. Having any Norton/Symantec product
installed on a computer is comparable to having a 2 ton block of
concrete tied onto the back bumper of your car.

There are many alternatives that do not degrade computer performance
as much as Norton products do and which do not have the constant
problems with bad updates and interference with other applications
that Norton produts do.

Here are some alternatives:
Bitware: http://www.bitware.com
Trend Micro (PC Cillin) http://www.trendmicro.com