Windows Defender modifying NTUSER.DAT for all users

Rob

      4th Oct 2010
We have some Windows 7 hotdesk computers.
These computer have a group policy setting to delete user profiles that are
older a few days.
Whenever the daily Windows Defender quick scan runs it updates the
NTUSER.DAT and ntuser.dat.LOG1 for every user profile on the computers
including some that are months old.
The end result is that old profiles are never deleted.
The same thing happens if I run a manual quick scan, every NTUSER.DAT is
modified except the current user.
Anyone know why Defender does this or how to stop it?

Rob

      4th Oct 2010
I think I found my own answer and there is a hotfix for it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983544

"Rob" wrote:

> We have some Windows 7 hotdesk computers.
> These computer have a group policy setting to delete user profiles that are
> older a few days.
> Whenever the daily Windows Defender quick scan runs it updates the
> NTUSER.DAT and ntuser.dat.LOG1 for every user profile on the computers
> including some that are months old.
> The end result is that old profiles are never deleted.
> The same thing happens if I run a manual quick scan, every NTUSER.DAT is
> modified except the current user.
> Anyone know why Defender does this or how to stop it?

Bill Sanderson

      8th Oct 2010
I agree--thanks for the update--interesting issue.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...