Windows Defender compatibility.

=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnk5NQ==?=

      1st Apr 2007
Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
--
CW4 "Go Ordnance"

someone

      1st Apr 2007
I've been doing that for months, along with various others, such as SpyBot,
Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. Be forewarned that Spysweeper is
a memory hog, and so is Spybot. I shut down SpyBot most of the time,
otherwise my Ram is almost always at 100%.

"Barry95" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
> --
> CW4 "Go Ordnance"

Dave M

      1st Apr 2007
A year ago I'd have just said an unqualified yes, but since SpySweeper 5.0
was released, I think it depends on what security items in total you have
running in real time. That includes what Anti-Virus products you are
running. The potential for conflict is high, as "someone" alludes to
above. I'm running a backlevel version of SS that's over a year old, not
wanting to inflict havoc on my system.

The good news is that you can try SS for 30 days free to see what happens.
Although be forewarned that removing SS may involve more than a simple
add/remove from control panel, and you may need to get Webroot support
involved to totally remove the product if that turns out to be necessary.
See these forums for more detail:

http://www.castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html

--

Regards, Dave

Barry95 wrote:
> Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?

=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnk5NQ==?=

      2nd Apr 2007
Thanks for the feedback. I just recently removed my Norton anti-virus and am
using Webroot Spy Sweeper and Vrus protection. But MS Defender looks good to
me. I'm leary of just depending on SS.
--
CW4 "Go Ordnance"

"someone" wrote:

> I've been doing that for months, along with various others, such as SpyBot,
> Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. Be forewarned that Spysweeper is
> a memory hog, and so is Spybot. I shut down SpyBot most of the time,
> otherwise my Ram is almost always at 100%.
>
> "Barry95" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
> > --
> > CW4 "Go Ordnance"

=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnk5NQ==?=

      2nd Apr 2007
Dave,

I appreciate the response. I just resently cxl'd my Norton and went with
the WSS & Anti-virus package. I've been using WSS for over a year with
complete success. I also just increased my ram to 1 GB. However, I'm
thinking strongly about going to MS Vista and Windows Defender as well. I'll
check out the link you provided.

Thanks again
--
CW4 "Go Ordnance"

"Dave M" wrote:

> A year ago I'd have just said an unqualified yes, but since SpySweeper 5.0
> was released, I think it depends on what security items in total you have
> running in real time. That includes what Anti-Virus products you are
> running. The potential for conflict is high, as "someone" alludes to
> above. I'm running a backlevel version of SS that's over a year old, not
> wanting to inflict havoc on my system.
>
> The good news is that you can try SS for 30 days free to see what happens.
> Although be forewarned that removing SS may involve more than a simple
> add/remove from control panel, and you may need to get Webroot support
> involved to totally remove the product if that turns out to be necessary.
> See these forums for more detail:
>
> http://www.castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html
>
> --
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> Barry95 wrote:
> > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?

=?Utf-8?B?THlyaWNhbDE3?=

      14th Jun 2007
May I interpret your response to Barry95 to mean that I can run Windows
Defender and Adaware on the same computer without compatiblity issues?

--
Before you cross the finish line, check to see if you''''re in the right race.

"someone" wrote:

> I've been doing that for months, along with various others, such as SpyBot,
> Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. Be forewarned that Spysweeper is
> a memory hog, and so is Spybot. I shut down SpyBot most of the time,
> otherwise my Ram is almost always at 100%.
>
> "Barry95" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can I use both Windows Defender and Webroot Spys Sweeper?
> > --
> > CW4 "Go Ordnance"

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBE?=

      14th Jun 2007

"Lyrical17" wrote:

> May I interpret your response to Barry95 to mean that I can run Windows
> Defender and Adaware on the same computer without compatiblity issues?

I've been using Defender (running with real time protection) together with
AdAware SE (as an on-demand scanner) for a long time with no problems at all.
In fact it's a common combination for folk to use.

However, the new version of AdAware (2007) that's just been released is
causing a lot of problems, so I'd steer clear of that until the dust settles
if I were you. But the previous version, AdAware SE, is fine.