Windows Defender and Norton Antivirus 2005

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBWYW4gS2lyaw==?=

      3rd Mar 2006
Continue to have problems with Norton blocking Defender's access to
Symantec's files in Antivirus. Can be seen in the Symantec Log Viewer under
"Symantec Resorce Protector/Alerts. Occurs in bursts several times an hour,
as has been described earlier last month but has not been resolved. Did not
occur with MS AntiSpyware Beta1.

There was a note previously by an MS MVP that there were no known
incompatabilities with Defender and the Non Corporate Norton AntiVirus.

Always the same Actor, but different Symantec Targets. As 1 example:
Actor:C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (PID=1032)
Target: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccLgView.exe (PID=2932)
Action:</b> Unauthorized access Reaction: Unauthorized access stopped

Other folks still noting the same activity?
Wonder if MS is working with Symantec to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?bWVj?=

      3rd Mar 2006
I have the same problem and I had already posted about it.
Does someone know some news about the solution of this conflict between WD
beta 2 and "Symantec Resource Protector" of Norton/Symantec AV?
Thanks

"John Van Kirk" wrote:

> Continue to have problems with Norton blocking Defender's access to
> Symantec's files in Antivirus. Can be seen in the Symantec Log Viewer under
> "Symantec Resorce Protector/Alerts. Occurs in bursts several times an hour,
> as has been described earlier last month but has not been resolved. Did not
> occur with MS AntiSpyware Beta1.
>
> There was a note previously by an MS MVP that there were no known
> incompatabilities with Defender and the Non Corporate Norton AntiVirus.
>
> Always the same Actor, but different Symantec Targets. As 1 example:
> Actor:C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (PID=1032)
> Target: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccLgView.exe (PID=2932)
> Action:</b> Unauthorized access Reaction: Unauthorized access stopped
>
> Other folks still noting the same activity?
> Wonder if MS is working with Symantec to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?Q0U=?=

      3rd Mar 2006
I have exactly the same problem. Also have it after running Lavasoft
adaware. Am still waiting for someone to come up with a viable solution.

"mec" wrote:

> I have the same problem and I had already posted about it.
> Does someone know some news about the solution of this conflict between WD
> beta 2 and "Symantec Resource Protector" of Norton/Symantec AV?
> Thanks
>

> "John Van Kirk" wrote:
>
> > Continue to have problems with Norton blocking Defender's access to
> > Symantec's files in Antivirus. Can be seen in the Symantec Log Viewer under
> > "Symantec Resorce Protector/Alerts. Occurs in bursts several times an hour,
> > as has been described earlier last month but has not been resolved. Did not
> > occur with MS AntiSpyware Beta1.
> >
> > There was a note previously by an MS MVP that there were no known
> > incompatabilities with Defender and the Non Corporate Norton AntiVirus.
> >
> > Always the same Actor, but different Symantec Targets. As 1 example:
> > Actor:C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (PID=1032)
> > Target: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccLgView.exe (PID=2932)
> > Action:</b> Unauthorized access Reaction: Unauthorized access stopped
> >
> > Other folks still noting the same activity?
> > Wonder if MS is working with Symantec to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?SlJvc2VuZmVsZA==?=

      4th Mar 2006
I have NAV 2005, but it's probably the same option in 2006:
Nav, options, miscellaneous: enable protection for my Symantec product.

I think that if that is checked, you will get alerts when apps like WD or
Adaware try to scan the Symantec files.

For WD, you could try Tools, General settings, scroll down to advanced
options and add the path to the NAV files to the box do not scan. Not sure if
just C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus (which is where NAV itself is
installed by default) is sufficient or whether you would also have to add the
paths to other Symantec files (on my system, C:\Program Files\Symantec,
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared)

Alternatively uncheck the above mentioned option in NAV (but in my view that
is less safe, as potentially trojans or viruses could attack and disable NAV)

Similarly in Adaware SE, Click on the cog wheel to open configuration
settings, select folders to scan, uncheck the Nav folder(s).

"CE" wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem. Also have it after running Lavasoft
> adaware. Am still waiting for someone to come up with a viable solution.
>
> "mec" wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem and I had already posted about it.
> > Does someone know some news about the solution of this conflict between WD
> > beta 2 and "Symantec Resource Protector" of Norton/Symantec AV?
> > Thanks
> >

> > "John Van Kirk" wrote:
> >
> > > Continue to have problems with Norton blocking Defender's access to
> > > Symantec's files in Antivirus. Can be seen in the Symantec Log Viewer under
> > > "Symantec Resorce Protector/Alerts. Occurs in bursts several times an hour,
> > > as has been described earlier last month but has not been resolved. Did not
> > > occur with MS AntiSpyware Beta1.
> > >
> > > There was a note previously by an MS MVP that there were no known
> > > incompatabilities with Defender and the Non Corporate Norton AntiVirus.
> > >
> > > Always the same Actor, but different Symantec Targets. As 1 example:
> > > Actor:C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (PID=1032)
> > > Target: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccLgView.exe (PID=2932)
> > > Action:</b> Unauthorized access Reaction: Unauthorized access stopped
> > >
> > > Other folks still noting the same activity?
> > > Wonder if MS is working with Symantec to correct this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?SlJvc2VuZmVsZA==?=

      4th Mar 2006
Sorry my previous post suggestion does not work as I expected (just tried it,
should have done so before posting :-)).

Certainly if you uncheck the option in NAV, you won't get those logs, but
adding the paths to WD as I suggested still generated the log entries in NAV.
Maybe there are more paths to Symantec files..

"JRosenfeld" wrote:

> I have NAV 2005, but it's probably the same option in 2006:
> Nav, options, miscellaneous: enable protection for my Symantec product.
>
> I think that if that is checked, you will get alerts when apps like WD or
> Adaware try to scan the Symantec files.
>
> For WD, you could try Tools, General settings, scroll down to advanced
> options and add the path to the NAV files to the box do not scan. Not sure if
> just C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus (which is where NAV itself is
> installed by default) is sufficient or whether you would also have to add the
> paths to other Symantec files (on my system, C:\Program Files\Symantec,
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared)
>
> Alternatively uncheck the above mentioned option in NAV (but in my view that
> is less safe, as potentially trojans or viruses could attack and disable NAV)
>
> Similarly in Adaware SE, Click on the cog wheel to open configuration
> settings, select folders to scan, uncheck the Nav folder(s).
>
> "CE" wrote:
>
> > I have exactly the same problem. Also have it after running Lavasoft
> > adaware. Am still waiting for someone to come up with a viable solution.
> >
> > "mec" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the same problem and I had already posted about it.
> > > Does someone know some news about the solution of this conflict between WD
> > > beta 2 and "Symantec Resource Protector" of Norton/Symantec AV?
> > > Thanks

Bill Sanderson

      4th Mar 2006
I don't have any news about this apparent conflict. The known issues:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...easenotes.mspx

state that there are no known incompatibilities--that's the source of that
statement.

I don't believe these messages are anything to be concerned about, except to
the extent that the "noise" is either annoying (if you are getting alerts)
or might mask a genuine alert.

--

"JRosenfeld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry my previous post suggestion does not work as I expected (just tried
> it,
> should have done so before posting :-)).
>
> Certainly if you uncheck the option in NAV, you won't get those logs, but
> adding the paths to WD as I suggested still generated the log entries in
> NAV.
> Maybe there are more paths to Symantec files..
>
> "JRosenfeld" wrote:
>
>> I have NAV 2005, but it's probably the same option in 2006:
>> Nav, options, miscellaneous: enable protection for my Symantec product.
>>
>> I think that if that is checked, you will get alerts when apps like WD or
>> Adaware try to scan the Symantec files.
>>
>> For WD, you could try Tools, General settings, scroll down to advanced
>> options and add the path to the NAV files to the box do not scan. Not
>> sure if
>> just C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus (which is where NAV itself is
>> installed by default) is sufficient or whether you would also have to add
>> the
>> paths to other Symantec files (on my system, C:\Program Files\Symantec,
>> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared)
>>
>> Alternatively uncheck the above mentioned option in NAV (but in my view
>> that
>> is less safe, as potentially trojans or viruses could attack and disable
>> NAV)
>>
>> Similarly in Adaware SE, Click on the cog wheel to open configuration
>> settings, select folders to scan, uncheck the Nav folder(s).
>>
>> "CE" wrote:
>>
>> > I have exactly the same problem. Also have it after running Lavasoft
>> > adaware. Am still waiting for someone to come up with a viable
>> > solution.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBWYW4gS2lyaw==?=

      4th Mar 2006
Hi Bill,
Not sure if you are one of the MS MVP's monitoring the bugs discussed
regarding Win Defender. You are very helpful and much appreciated. It would
be very nice if one of the MS Defender team who monitors the discussion board
would acknowledge noting a problem, then all of us could rest more assured MS
will at least look into the complaint.

One note about the Win Defender Tools\GeneraSettings\AdvancedOptions: If you
do place a "path" statement there, as it says will work, without the
executable, Win Defender does not "not" scan that path. You still get the NAV
denied access in their Event Viewer, for example using C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\.
I have not tried the full path to a specific executable to see if that stops
Win Defender from scanning that file yet. Work stilll needs to be done in
this area.
--
John E. Van Kirk

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> I don't have any news about this apparent conflict. The known issues:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...easenotes.mspx

> state that there are no known incompatibilities--that's the source of that
> statement.
>
> I don't believe these messages are anything to be concerned about, except to
> the extent that the "noise" is either annoying (if you are getting alerts)
> or might mask a genuine alert.
>
> --
>
> "JRosenfeld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sorry my previous post suggestion does not work as I expected (just tried
> > it,
> > should have done so before posting :-)).
> >
> > Certainly if you uncheck the option in NAV, you won't get those logs, but
> > adding the paths to WD as I suggested still generated the log entries in
> > NAV.
> > Maybe there are more paths to Symantec files..
> >
> > "JRosenfeld" wrote:
> >
> >> I have NAV 2005, but it's probably the same option in 2006:
> >> Nav, options, miscellaneous: enable protection for my Symantec product.
> >>
> >> I think that if that is checked, you will get alerts when apps like WD or
> >> Adaware try to scan the Symantec files.
> >>
> >> For WD, you could try Tools, General settings, scroll down to advanced
> >> options and add the path to the NAV files to the box do not scan. Not
> >> sure if
> >> just C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus (which is where NAV itself is
> >> installed by default) is sufficient or whether you would also have to add
> >> the
> >> paths to other Symantec files (on my system, C:\Program Files\Symantec,
> >> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared)
> >>
> >> Alternatively uncheck the above mentioned option in NAV (but in my view
> >> that
> >> is less safe, as potentially trojans or viruses could attack and disable
> >> NAV)
> >>
> >> Similarly in Adaware SE, Click on the cog wheel to open configuration
> >> settings, select folders to scan, uncheck the Nav folder(s).

=?Utf-8?B?bWVj?=

      5th Mar 2006
Hallo Bill,
in my opinion this is not an apparent conflict but a real conflict.
If "Symantec Resource Protector" has turned on, besides the appearance of
the logs of access not authorized, as soon as windows has started, the icon
tray of Norton Antivirus immediately appears with a red cross (the real time
protection isn't active); then, only after some minutes, everything returns
normal and Norton becomes active.
During these minutes, I can use the pc, but without antivirus protection!
So I use now the computer with "Symantec Resource Protector" turned off,
waiting for a solution to the issue.

P.S. I apologize for my bad English.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> I don't have any news about this apparent conflict. The known issues:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...easenotes.mspx
>
> state that there are no known incompatibilities--that's the source of that
> statement.
>
> I don't believe these messages are anything to be concerned about, except to
> the extent that the "noise" is either annoying (if you are getting alerts)
> or might mask a genuine alert.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

      14th Apr 2006
Can you provide me exact repro steps (what button to push, what you see,
etc.) So we can reproduce the condition?

--
-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Windows Defender Beta Lead
MCSE, CISSP
http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

originated.

"John Van Kirk" <(E-Mail Removed).> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bill,
> Not sure if you are one of the MS MVP's monitoring the bugs discussed
> regarding Win Defender. You are very helpful and much appreciated. It
> would
> be very nice if one of the MS Defender team who monitors the discussion
> board
> would acknowledge noting a problem, then all of us could rest more assured
> MS
> will at least look into the complaint.
>
> One note about the Win Defender Tools\GeneraSettings\AdvancedOptions: If
> you
> do place a "path" statement there, as it says will work, without the
> executable, Win Defender does not "not" scan that path. You still get the
> NAV
> denied access in their Event Viewer, for example using C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\.
> I have not tried the full path to a specific executable to see if that
> stops
> Win Defender from scanning that file yet. Work stilll needs to be done in
> this area.
> --
> John E. Van Kirk
>

> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I don't have any news about this apparent conflict. The known issues:

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...easenotes.mspx
>>
>> state that there are no known incompatibilities--that's the source of
>> that
>> statement.
>>
>> I don't believe these messages are anything to be concerned about, except
>> the extent that the "noise" is either annoying (if you are getting
>> alerts)
>> or might mask a genuine alert.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "JRosenfeld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Sorry my previous post suggestion does not work as I expected (just
>> > tried
>> > it,
>> > should have done so before posting :-)).
>> >
>> > Certainly if you uncheck the option in NAV, you won't get those logs,
>> > but
>> > adding the paths to WD as I suggested still generated the log entries
>> > in
>> > NAV.
>> > Maybe there are more paths to Symantec files..

Bill Sanderson MVP

      14th Apr 2006
If you want more on this issue, check messages from "techie007" in these
groups--not sure exactly which. When I get home later, I'll get you
something from his posts--he has all the details, as I recall.

--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...