Windows defender and Kaspersky Internet Security

Dar

      28th Mar 2009
I have Windows Vista SP1 and Windows defender came with the computer and I
have Kaspersky Internet Security also. (I first was in microsoft public
general for this question, wrong place ) I wanted to know if they both can
run on my computer. I was told by one yes they should work well together. And
then by someone who answered why use both. If they work well together why not
run both of them. I like good security. What should I do? I am still learning
I was told to go buy the book Vista for Dummies, and I will do so. In the
mean time please help.

Bill Sanderson

      28th Mar 2009
This is a question which would be best answered by the support staff or
forums for Kaspersky Internet Security.

A number of current Internet Security suite products, including some from
Symantec and McAfee, explicitly disable Windows Defender on
installation--usually via a dialog asking/informing the user of this choice.

Most anti-malware products interact with potential malware via a single
Windows API--which hands off files for scanning--either as they start the
download process, or as they are saved, or opened. If multiple products use
this api, they must cooperate by maintaining a chain in the registry so that
they get successive access to the bits to be scanned. So one issue is
whether the applications maintain this chain correctly--recently, most do,
but there were issues some years back where uninstalling a product resulted
in a broken chain, with perplexing results--downloads would appear to start,
and then nothing would ever be saved.

The other issue is time--multiple apps looking at the same stuff add time,
which may be significant, depending on the size of what is being scanned,
and the efficiency of the scanning, checksumming, and lookup processes of
each successive app.

Defense in depth is certainly the right idea, but I'd recommend choosing a
primary antimalware vendor, and going with their advice. If Kaspersky says
to disable Windows Defender, then I'd do that.

If you want a double check, choose an online scanner and run that once a
month/week, as needed. The scanner at safety.live.com will always have
Microsoft's latest definitions, both for malware and spyware.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...