Windows Defender and Firewall

=?Utf-8?B?TWlsdA==?=

      2nd Jan 2007
I have 3 computers in a small wireless network. How do I get the Microsoft
Firewall to stop blocking access to the other computers (other than disabling
the firewall)?. Also, how do I stop all the web pop-ups for the firewall?
Thanks,
--
Milt

Bill Sanderson MVP

      4th Jan 2007
Milt- you've managed to work Windows Defender into the subject header, but I
don't really see its relevance to the content of your message.

What version of windows are these machines running? Typically, on question
1, you right click the Ethernet connection in control panel, networks,choose
properties, click on the advanced tab, then the settings tab for the
firewall. Click the exceptions tab. There should be a checkbox for file
and printer sharing. Check that, and ok or apply to get out . Do that on
each machine.

Be aware that if you are running a security suite from any of the major and
not-so-major vendors, they may also include firewall functionality--and I
can't tell you how to work with those products.

I don't understand your second question at all, I'm afraid--can you say a
bit more--give an example?

--

"Milt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 3 computers in a small wireless network. How do I get the Microsoft
> Firewall to stop blocking access to the other computers (other than
> disabling
> the firewall)?. Also, how do I stop all the web pop-ups for the firewall?
> Thanks,
> --
> Milt

=?Utf-8?B?TWlsdA==?=

      4th Jan 2007

--
Milt

"Bill Sanderson MVP" wrote:

> Milt- you've managed to work Windows Defender into the subject header, but I
> don't really see its relevance to the content of your message.
>
> What version of windows are these machines running? Typically, on question
> 1, you right click the Ethernet connection in control panel, networks,choose
> properties, click on the advanced tab, then the settings tab for the
> firewall. Click the exceptions tab. There should be a checkbox for file
> and printer sharing. Check that, and ok or apply to get out . Do that on
> each machine.
>
> Be aware that if you are running a security suite from any of the major and
> not-so-major vendors, they may also include firewall functionality--and I
> can't tell you how to work with those products.
>
> I don't understand your second question at all, I'm afraid--can you say a
> bit more--give an example?
>
> --
>
> "Milt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have 3 computers in a small wireless network. How do I get the Microsoft
> > Firewall to stop blocking access to the other computers (other than
> > disabling
> > the firewall)?. Also, how do I stop all the web pop-ups for the firewall?
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Milt

> Bill, thanks for your time - the reason Windows Defender was included in the heading is that I think the download included changes to the Windows Firewall which resulted in some error messages. However, I think now all is well. My Linksys wireless router has a firewall in it, sooooo, I disabled both the Trend Micro and Windows firewalls and presto, my little network is cookin' again. The rep from Trend Micro was very helpful, and told me I only needed one firewall.

Bill Sanderson MVP

      5th Jan 2007

>> Bill, thanks for your time - the reason Windows Defender was included in
>> the heading is that I think the download included changes to the Windows
>> Firewall which resulted in some error messages. However, I think now all
>> is well. My Linksys wireless router has a firewall in it, sooooo, I
>> disabled both the Trend Micro and Windows firewalls and presto, my little
>> network is cookin' again. The rep from Trend Micro was very helpful, and
>> told me I only needed one firewall.

Windows Defender doesn't make changes to firewall settings, although
Microsoft's OneCare security suite, which includes Windows Defender's
functionality--does have its own firewall which is significantly different
from the standard Windows firewall.

The Trend Micro support person was correct, but not completely so: The
router functionality does provide some of the benefits of a firewall, in
that it does not allow unsolicited traffic into your home network from the
Internet.

There is additional benefit, however, in running the Windows firewall, even
behind a router.

For example, if someone should plug in a laptop infected with a virus which
exploited a flaw in some Microsoft or third-party service which was running,
but not in use, on your machines, it would not be able to exploit that flaw
because you would not have opened those ports in the firewall on your
systems.

This is perhaps not a very convincing case--but I run the Windows firewall
on every system I administer, both in domain networks in offices, and on my
home machines, even though these networks are also protected by either
commercial firewall products or routers as well.

This isn't something I would lose any sleep over, but running the Windows
firewall, in particular, since it only needs to be configured for inbound
traffic types--doesn't take much effort, and might be helpful in the long
run.