Windows Defender/ Ad-Aware, wont install

Mark Dupoise

      14th Mar 2008
Good afternoon all,
I have a laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 and all current updates on it. Was
working fine for ages then began to slow down. CPU pegged at 100% frequently
until I manually shut some applications down but now I have tried to install
Defender and got an install error. The error is that the path to my documents
is corrupt or missing. I wasnt saving the file to my docs, I was saving it to
the desktop? Go figure.... any ideas other than re-loading?

Bill Sanderson

      14th Mar 2008
As you suspect, this could be spyware or a virus. Do you have antivirus
installed, with current definitions? Have you done a full scan of the
machine, perhaps in Safe Mode, with that antivirus?

If you don't have an up-to-date antivirus with current definitions
installed, consider an online scanner such as the one at
http://safety.life.com --this one can run in Safe Mode with Networking, if
necessary.

I've troubleshot a couple of machines for this symptom recently: In one
case the issue was simply lack of ram--ram requirements change with the
software load over time, and such things as an update to an antivirus suite
may push performance below the bar you find reasonable--how much ram is in
the machine?

If you don't know how to find this out, or want to cost out increasing it--
http://www.crucial.com can both test the machine to see how much ram is in
it and tell you how many sockets there are, and what your options are for
increasing the available ram.

In the other case, the culpret turned out to be the driver for an HP
Laserjet 102x series printer. So--something like a poorly behaved driver
for a printer or some other peripheral can affect performance significantly.

So--on to your original question: Was Windows Defender, or a beta version
of it ever installed on this machine previously?

Let me see if I have the scenario right: You downloaded Windows Defender
(from Microsoft's site??) to the desktop, and saved it there. Then you
double-clicked that saved installer file, and got this error message
referencing the path to "My documents?"

If you can replicate this error message and see if you have it word-for-word
correct that might help--it sounds like something I've seen before, but I'm
not remembering the fix and Google has failed me so far.

One possible fix involves using the Windows Installer clean-up utility from
Microsoft, but I'd like to pin the error wording and possible history of old
installs down before recommending that.

"Mark Dupoise" <Mark (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good afternoon all,
> I have a laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 and all current updates on it. Was
> working fine for ages then began to slow down. CPU pegged at 100%
> frequently
> until I manually shut some applications down but now I have tried to
> install
> Defender and got an install error. The error is that the path to my
> documents
> is corrupt or missing. I wasnt saving the file to my docs, I was saving it
> the desktop? Go figure.... any ideas other than re-loading?

Dave M

      15th Mar 2008
Mark;

Bill's link (with typo) to the OneCare Safety Scanner site should be:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Additional free online scanners can be accessed through this link:

http://safetyscans.googlepages.com/

--

Regards, Dave

Mark Dupoise wrote:
> Good afternoon all,
> I have a laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 and all current updates on it. Was
> working fine for ages then began to slow down. CPU pegged at 100%
> frequently
> until I manually shut some applications down but now I have tried to
> install
> Defender and got an install error. The error is that the path to my
> documents
> is corrupt or missing. I wasnt saving the file to my docs, I was saving
> it to
> the desktop? Go figure.... any ideas other than re-loading?

Bill Sanderson

      15th Mar 2008
Thanks, Dave! I corrected one typo in that one before I sent it, but missed
the obvious one.

And the Google link is an excellent reference as well.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...