Windows Defender 64 service will not start

=?Utf-8?B?U3RhcnNreQ==?=

      24th Mar 2007
Starsky" wrote:

Window Defender 64 will not install successfully on OEM AMD64 hardware. The
install stops with the following error:

"Defender services failed to start. Check to ensure you have the
correct permissions to start the services."

The OS is Windows xp 64bit Edition SP2. Is this a known issue or is there a
workaround to get the software installed?

Uninstall the Defender and then Disable your Anti-virus and try the
installation.
Better if you post to the Defender Newsgroup here if the above didn't work:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us
HTH.
nass
===
www.nasstec.co.uk

Disabling the Anti-virus program did not help. Not sure why the question
about permissions. I am installing the program as the administrator.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RhcnNreQ==?=

      27th Mar 2007
This issue was solved by the following post:

"i don't know if this will help on server 2000 because i did it on windows
2000 but its worth a try: as you install windows defender go to the service
properties... click the log on tab and change to "This Account"... use your
local administrator password here and hit apply... that should grant the
administrator a certain privilage (i would say which specifically but i
didn't write it down)... after that put it back to "Local system accout" and
continue installation and everything should work peachy keen!
hope this helps
Josh B"