Windows cannot access \\Home-pc\c - Error Code 0x80070005

SDC

      4th May 2009
I just reinstalled Windows Vista HP on my desktop computer yesterday. I use a
Cradlepoint MBR1000 router to access the internet and files on my laptop (and
visa versa). The router is connected to the desktop via a CAT5 cable into the
LAN port. A USB720 modem is connected to the router (provides internet access
wirelessly).

I have set up my desktop computer for file sharing and printer sharing. Up
until I reinstalled Vista (for unrelated reasons), this all worked fine. Now,
though it has ceased working. I have attempted to reset all the permissions
to wide open -- EVERYONE to read, write and control files/folders -- on both
computers. I have turned off the firewall thinking that was a barrier.
Nothing has helped. I am now growing bald!

When I attempt to access any drive/folder/file from the laptop that is on
the desktop, I see this: Windows cannot access \\Home-pc\c - Check the
spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.
To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

So I did.

And....I see: "c" is available but the user account that you are logged with
was denied access. Windows cannot further diagnose the problem because
network diagnostics does not know the user name and password required to
connect to the shared folder.
Make sure you have typed the path correctly and you have permission to
access the shared folder. If you are trying to access the shared folder with
a user name and password that is different from what you used to log on to
this computer, ensure that you have entered them correctly. Click for more
information about permissions.

Error Code 0x80070005 - Access is Denied

Upon the advice from a Cradlepoint tech, I tried to ping both computer IP's
to see if the computers see each other. Both pings are successful - no
timeouts.

I have read the article over and over again at Microsoft
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx,) just so I could
double and triple check my settings. Everything seems OK. But, something is
wrong. Nothing is working.

I am stuck.

This should be so simple!!!

Please....SOMEONE help me...

Thank you!

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

      4th May 2009
It could be 3rd party security software. This post may help.

hp connectionsAs far as the windows updates, it tells me "windows can't
search for new updates errors found 80070005. " I can download updates such
as vista SP1 but it ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...f3c0545a00dc44

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"SDC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just reinstalled Windows Vista HP on my desktop computer yesterday. I use
> Cradlepoint MBR1000 router to access the internet and files on my laptop
> (and
> visa versa). The router is connected to the desktop via a CAT5 cable into
> the
> LAN port. A USB720 modem is connected to the router (provides internet
> access
> wirelessly).
>
> I have set up my desktop computer for file sharing and printer sharing. Up
> until I reinstalled Vista (for unrelated reasons), this all worked fine.
> Now,
> though it has ceased working. I have attempted to reset all the
> permissions
> to wide open -- EVERYONE to read, write and control files/folders -- on
> both
> computers. I have turned off the firewall thinking that was a barrier.
> Nothing has helped. I am now growing bald!
>
> When I attempt to access any drive/folder/file from the laptop that is on
> the desktop, I see this: Windows cannot access \\Home-pc\c - Check the
> spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your
> network.
> To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.
>
> So I did.
>
> And....I see: "c" is available but the user account that you are logged
> with
> was denied access. Windows cannot further diagnose the problem because
> network diagnostics does not know the user name and password required to
> connect to the shared folder.
> Make sure you have typed the path correctly and you have permission to
> access the shared folder. If you are trying to access the shared folder
> with
> a user name and password that is different from what you used to log on to
> this computer, ensure that you have entered them correctly. Click for more
> information about permissions.
>
> Error Code 0x80070005 - Access is Denied
>
> Upon the advice from a Cradlepoint tech, I tried to ping both computer
> IP's
> to see if the computers see each other. Both pings are successful - no
> timeouts.
>
> I have read the article over and over again at Microsoft
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx,) just so I
> could
> double and triple check my settings. Everything seems OK. But, something
> is
> wrong. Nothing is working.
>
> I am stuck.
>
> This should be so simple!!!
>
> Please....SOMEONE help me...
>
> Thank you!

SDC

      5th May 2009
Well....here's the deal. After pulling most of my hair out and staying up
late, I have managed to solve my own problem -- so, to be nice to others, I
am posting the solution that worked for me here.

Even though I had sharing set up for Everyone (permissions) to read, write
(full control) enabled...I failed to go under the security tab for each
drive/folder that was being shared to make sure that the groups/users in that
tab matched the same groups/users in the Sharing tab. Basically I had to
change the security permissions to Everyone with full control (as I am the
sole user of the computers/network here). Once that was done, I clicked
Apply and OK....it's a long process if you are sharing a large HD because it
changes the security properties on the whole drive (if you are sharing the
whole drive -- which I am).

After that was all done, VIOLA...I had computers talking to each other and
the world was happy again.

It would be so nice if Microsoft could make the network setup a tad quicker
and easier. How about ONE tab that takes care of ALL the permissions and
security for network setups - instead of checking 2 and 3 places??

Novel idea.

And, there's my solution.

Enjoy.

"SDC" wrote:

> I just reinstalled Windows Vista HP on my desktop computer yesterday. I use a
> Cradlepoint MBR1000 router to access the internet and files on my laptop (and
> visa versa). The router is connected to the desktop via a CAT5 cable into the
> LAN port. A USB720 modem is connected to the router (provides internet access
> wirelessly).
>
> I have set up my desktop computer for file sharing and printer sharing. Up
> until I reinstalled Vista (for unrelated reasons), this all worked fine. Now,
> though it has ceased working. I have attempted to reset all the permissions
> to wide open -- EVERYONE to read, write and control files/folders -- on both
> computers. I have turned off the firewall thinking that was a barrier.
> Nothing has helped. I am now growing bald!
>
> When I attempt to access any drive/folder/file from the laptop that is on
> the desktop, I see this: Windows cannot access \\Home-pc\c - Check the
> spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.
> To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.
>
> So I did.
>
> And....I see: "c" is available but the user account that you are logged with
> was denied access. Windows cannot further diagnose the problem because
> network diagnostics does not know the user name and password required to
> connect to the shared folder.
> Make sure you have typed the path correctly and you have permission to
> access the shared folder. If you are trying to access the shared folder with
> a user name and password that is different from what you used to log on to
> this computer, ensure that you have entered them correctly. Click for more
> information about permissions.
>
> Error Code 0x80070005 - Access is Denied
>
> Upon the advice from a Cradlepoint tech, I tried to ping both computer IP's
> to see if the computers see each other. Both pings are successful - no
> timeouts.
>
> I have read the article over and over again at Microsoft
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx,) just so I could
> double and triple check my settings. Everything seems OK. But, something is
> wrong. Nothing is working.
>
> I am stuck.
>
> This should be so simple!!!
>
> Please....SOMEONE help me...
>
> Thank you!

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

      6th May 2009
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.