windows is blocking zip files

Steve S

      26th May 2009
When i try to unzip a folder I got the message that the folder is blocked
to unzip the folder goto properties and unblock the folder, which I did. The
folder still will not unzip. I go back to properties and the unblock button
is gone. I'm running XP Pro sp3

How can i unzip?

Leonard Grey

      26th May 2009
Could your security software be blocking the archive? Archives are a
common vector for infection.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Steve S wrote:
> When i try to unzip a folder I got the message that the folder is blocked
> to unzip the folder goto properties and unblock the folder, which I did. The
> folder still will not unzip. I go back to properties and the unblock button
> is gone. I'm running XP Pro sp3
>
> How can i unzip?

Steve S

      26th May 2009
i can view and unzip other folders without a problem. i just try it on
another machine with the same results. it may be the folder.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Could your security software be blocking the archive? Archives are a
> common vector for infection.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Steve S wrote:
> > When i try to unzip a folder I got the message that the folder is blocked
> > to unzip the folder goto properties and unblock the folder, which I did. The
> > folder still will not unzip. I go back to properties and the unblock button
> > is gone. I'm running XP Pro sp3
> >
> > How can i unzip?

Leonard Grey

      26th May 2009
Does "another machine" have the identical security setup as your machine?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Steve S wrote:
> i can view and unzip other folders without a problem. i just try it on
> another machine with the same results. it may be the folder.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Could your security software be blocking the archive? Archives are a
>> common vector for infection.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Steve S wrote:
>>> When i try to unzip a folder I got the message that the folder is blocked
>>> to unzip the folder goto properties and unblock the folder, which I did. The
>>> folder still will not unzip. I go back to properties and the unblock button
>>> is gone. I'm running XP Pro sp3
>>>
>>> How can i unzip?

Steve S

      26th May 2009
No

On that machine we also turned off all firewall and anti-virus programs,
still couldn't extract files. The company that created the folder suggests
using PK unzip, I'll download and try it.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Does "another machine" have the identical security setup as your machine?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Steve S wrote:
> > i can view and unzip other folders without a problem. i just try it on
> > another machine with the same results. it may be the folder.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Could your security software be blocking the archive? Archives are a
> >> common vector for infection.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Steve S

      26th May 2009
using PK unzip corrected the problem. Was able to unzip the folder

"Steve S" wrote:

> No
>
> On that machine we also turned off all firewall and anti-virus programs,
> still couldn't extract files. The company that created the folder suggests
> using PK unzip, I'll download and try it.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
> > Does "another machine" have the identical security setup as your machine?
> > ---
> > Leonard Grey
> > Errare humanum est
> >
> > Steve S wrote:
> > > i can view and unzip other folders without a problem. i just try it on
> > > another machine with the same results. it may be the folder.

Twayne

      28th May 2009
Steve S wrote:
> When i try to unzip a folder I got the message that the folder is
> blocked to unzip the folder goto properties and unblock the folder,
> which I did. The folder still will not unzip. I go back to
> properties and the unblock button is gone. I'm running XP Pro sp3
>
> How can i unzip?

If the ZIPs were created with someting other than XP's zipping ability,
XP will not be able to unzip them. You'll need a 3rd party app such as
winzip or 7zip or one of the many that exist. XP only knows about
what's called "legacy" zip methods.

HTH,

Twayne`