PC Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Windows 8 Release Preview

Silly Fool

31st May 2012
Hey all, just a heads up if yer interested. Windows 8 Release Preview is ready for download.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...elease-preview

sugar 'n spikes

31st May 2012
Didn't I get that several months ago?

And as I recall it was pretty much a pile of tosh but hey - enjoy! I think

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Silly Fool

31st May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppybootstomp View Post
Didn't I get that several months ago?

And as I recall it was pretty much a pile of tosh but hey - enjoy! I think
What you got before was the consumer preview, this is the Release Preview, what use to be called the release candidate.

@120Hz

31st May 2012
Hmm, this still isn't exciting me as much as the Win7 RC did....

I was all over that and running it as my main OS from the time it was released up until they released the full version.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

sugar 'n spikes

1st Jun 2012
I wonder if I fire up my original install whether it will 'auto-patch' up to the release candidate?

Whatever, if they still haven't changed the basic navigation premise then Win 8 can lay down with the fishes, lol

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Silly Fool

1st Jun 2012
Quote:
I wonder if I fire up my original install whether it will 'auto-patch' up to the release candidate?

l

Fresh install sadly.

Silly Fool

1st Jun 2012
Quote:

Whatever, if they still haven't changed the basic navigation premise then Win 8 can lay down with the fishes, lol

Ok apparently if you do it from the update thingy its as good as a fresh install.

sugar 'n spikes

1st Jun 2012
Just fired up Win 8 after a lengthy hiatus and updated. 58.1Mb, 20 files, only took about five minutes.

Presumably they wouldn't update if the original pre-release was now outdated?

I'm going to state this quite categorically though - I hate it. I've just played with it for over an hour and tried to like it, understand it, come to grips with it but hell, I'm just lost. Nothing seems solid or steady, I can't find anything and worst of all I couldn't install Libre Office, it wouldn't have it.

Mobile telephone and Tablet OS's were not designed for desktop PC's, Windows think they're being up to date but although they may please some they're going to leave a lot of folk alienated with this shift. Besides, Win 7 is really very good - why the hell they have to change it? Oh, sorry, so Microsoft can make some more money, of course, silly me.

Nah, not for me at all and I'm not being a Luddite, I did after all go straight out and buy Vista and Win 7 when they were released. One out of two not too bad I suppose...

Nope, Win 8 is not for me and I am now going to wipe this 500Gb disk and try another Linux Distro on it.

I really can't wait for when Steam works within Linux....

3rd Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDavis View Post
Ok apparently if you do it from the update thingy its as good as a fresh install.
I was hoping that would be the case, and so all I had done was update my existing VM install. But as it turns out MS still doesn't do things like that, like we're used to in most Linux distros. I just heard Paul Thurrott saying MS requires a fresh install between builds, so I went ahead and installed it from the RC iso to compare, and sure enough, my fully updated old Win8 install is build 8250, while the new RC is build 8400.

Keep On Crunchin!

ZemaTalon
WildMacaw.com

Silly Fool

3rd Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zema Bus View Post
I was hoping that would be the case, and so all I had done was update my existing VM install. But as it turns out MS still doesn't do things like that, like we're used to in most Linux distros. I just heard Paul Thurrott saying MS requires a fresh install between builds, so I went ahead and installed it from the RC iso to compare, and sure enough, my fully updated old Win8 install is build 8250, while the new RC is build 8400.

With all MS OS's I prefer a fresh isntall. Yes a pain sometimes reinstalling apps etc, but at least you know its done right then :-)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: