PC Review

Windows 7 - Should I Dive Straight In?

25th Jun 2009
Hi,

How many people are currently using Windows 7 and what are your thoughts and experiences of it?

The reason for asking is that I'm going to build myself a new PC over the next 2 months, would like to do it in one go but due to finances I'll have to spread the build over 2 pay days

Once built I was thinking of jumping straight in with Windows 7 64Bit, so I suppose the question is should I?

Thoughts & Views welocmed.

Regards,

Andrew

Banned

25th Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzop
Hi,

How many people are currently using Windows 7 and what are your thoughts and experiences of it?

The reason for asking is that I'm going to build myself a new PC over the next 2 months, would like to do it in one go but due to finances I'll have to spread the build over 2 pay days

Once built I was thinking of jumping straight in with Windows 7 64Bit, so I suppose the question is should I?

Thoughts & Views welocmed.

Regards,

Andrew

I am using W7 rc 32bit, and am quite liking it...Its pretty quick imo....Pretty much everything that works for Vista works for W7...When the final release comes out I will be purchasing it. The only thing I am having trouble with is dual booting..Otherwise it is good..

Acruncher

25th Jun 2009
Depends what you use the pc for. If you are a home user and finances are tight why on earth pay for an os when you can use a free one. Have a look at me latest Mandriva 64 Bit walkthrough for a linux alternative to M$.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

25th Jun 2009
Hi & Thanks to you both for your replies,

Quote:
Depends what you use the pc for. If you are a home user and finances are tight why on earth pay for an os when you can use a free one. Have a look at me latest Mandriva 64 Bit walkthrough for a linux alternative to M$.
It will be used for both work and play, work being an Oracle/MS SQL based .NET application at times requiring development in MS Visual Studio and report writing etc. Play would be games e.g. CoD 4 On-Line plus surfing etc.

I thought I would make use of Windows 7 RC.

Regards,

Andrew

25th Jun 2009
I've got the RC 32Bit installed on VPC, seems a good bit of kit.

Have a play, they are still offering W7 for download, at least until the end of the month :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

Anyone who thinks "the customer is always right" never worked in Tech Support

@120Hz

25th Jun 2009
Quote:
Play would be games e.g. CoD 4 On-Line plus surfing etc.
Im not sure if this is still the case, but beware, that Evenbalance (punkbuster) dont support 'beta or pre release OS's'

So no Cod4 online if that is still the case.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

25th Jun 2009
Hi,

It appears that the majority of people using Windows 7 are running it either as a VPC or Dual Boot.

Quote:
Windows 7 Release Candidate: Download instructions
Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don't test the RC on your primary home or business PC.
Mmmmm... I hope to have my new PC built by the end of July, I'll download the 64bit RC and burn it to a disk probably next week at the office. However, in view of Microsoft advising not to test it on your primary PC I'm not sure what Microsoft OS to install onto the new PC?

Should I bite the bullet and have Windows 7 as my primary OS, or should I just wait for the offical release and install Vista instead?

Regards,

A rather confused Andrew

25th Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_R
Im not sure if this is still the case, but beware, that Evenbalance (punkbuster) dont support 'beta or pre release OS's'

So no Cod4 online if that is still the case.
In that case it'll have to be either XP Pro 64bit or Vista Business 64bit, any thoughts or views as to which?

Regards,

Andrew

25th Jun 2009
Quote:
Vista Business 64bit, any thoughts or views as to which?
Don't ask MadX about Vista

Anyone who thinks "the customer is always right" never worked in Tech Support

Banned

25th Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody in particular
Don't ask MadX about Vista

Don't ask Max for any advice today, Jack and Daniels have taken control of any thought process I might have.....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: