Windows 2003 Server unable to assign static IP address to RAS user

A. Ortolá

      23rd May 2008
Hello.

We need an user to have a static IP address every time he connects to our
server through VPN. In order to be able to do this, I'm trying to assign him
an static IP address using his dial-up properties on AD.

When I set up the address and press apply, the following error message is
prompted and changes are discarded:

“member profile changes were not saved because member not found”

Same thing happens for every user on AD.

Any clue? Thanx

A. Ortolá

      27th May 2008
Thank you for your answer Kurt. Unfortunately that's not what I was looking
for, since this will mean either login on each client computer to set the
parameters up or make the users mess with things they don't have to...

Anyway, I found the solution. As soon as I configured RRAS Server to assign
IP addresses from a pool instead of using DHCP, I was able to set the static
IP address on the user properties in AD.

"Kurt" wrote:

> Set up the RRAS server to permit the client to specify its own IP
> address, then just assign a static address to the VPN adapter on the client.
>
> Kurt

Sean Kearney

      6th Jul 2008
I'll add to this. With our present setup our server is in a 1U colo. No
space for a VPN router to add. Our DPM 2007 sits in another remote location.
But I needed a solution that would allow the DPM to just be picked up, moved
to a different location if needed and with minimal config, still get that
static IP address.

Under the dial In tab I did the "STATIC IP" address which worked great, but
I found after some time it would go asking for another address and get it,
which broke my rules on ISA.

So the solution for me was TWO fold.

1) Dial In tab - assign static IP address for user (You're allowed this
address)
2) User side - assign static IP address and DNS under VPN connection.

I found if I only did it on User Side the RAS would reject my Static IP
request. Had to do it on both.

This is with the RAS server handing out DHCP as a DHCP server, pool on this
assigned.

So our remote colo will accept the connect via VPN from it's DPM 2007 server
and keep getting that same IP address.

Why this worry? ISA is running on that remote colo and needs a static IP
address on it's rules to allow the unsigned RPC.