Windows 2000 Server Licensing

Ernest Elf

      15th Jan 2004
Hi,

I have a windws 2000 server which is NOT a domain
controller. The services I'm currently utilizing is just
file sharing.

Do I need client license for this setup? I've called up a
Microsoft representative and he told me its not required
as long as users do not log on to the domain.

But searching through the internet, I came across another
FAQ and it is stated very clearly that as long as any
client is utlizing the file and print services, a license
is required.

I'm confused right now. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks

Tame Hart

      15th Jan 2004
your good for 5 users I Think

"Ernest Elf" <ernest_elf*ignore.this*@*and.this*yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:04b301c3db11$91781980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a windws 2000 server which is NOT a domain
> controller. The services I'm currently utilizing is just
> file sharing.
>
> Do I need client license for this setup? I've called up a
> Microsoft representative and he told me its not required
> as long as users do not log on to the domain.
>
> But searching through the internet, I came across another
> FAQ and it is stated very clearly that as long as any
> client is utlizing the file and print services, a license
> is required.
>
> I'm confused right now. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks

      16th Jan 2004
Can you elaborate on the 5 users? I don't understand what
you're trying to say

Anyway, my win2k comes with a 25 client license. Now the
main question is do i need license for clients who are
just utilizing the file services?

thx