Windows 2000 Server Dial-up connection Problem: Continuous Traffic

GK

      6th Apr 2004
Hi,

My home PC runs a Windows 2000 Server (SP4) setup for dial-up with my
ISP. Whenever I connect, there is continuous traffic being generated
(seen in 'Bytes Sent' and 'Bytes Received' fields in the 'Connection
Status' dialog) eventhough I have NO Internet apps running (like a
browser, IM client, mail client, etc.).

I have stopped most of the services like www, DNS service, etc. My
up-to-date Protector Plus antivirus does not show any virus activity.

This traffic chokes up my connection and can hardly browse. Another
(possibly useful) piece of info is that about 1K bytes are being sent
every second and the received bytes is about 5 times that.

Please let me know what could be wrong in the configuration.

Much appreciated.

regards,
- gk

J Houston

      6th Apr 2004

"GK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My home PC runs a Windows 2000 Server (SP4) setup for dial-up with my
> ISP. Whenever I connect, there is continuous traffic being generated
> (seen in 'Bytes Sent' and 'Bytes Received' fields in the 'Connection
> Status' dialog) eventhough I have NO Internet apps running (like a
> browser, IM client, mail client, etc.).
>
> I have stopped most of the services like www, DNS service, etc. My
> up-to-date Protector Plus antivirus does not show any virus activity.
>
> This traffic chokes up my connection and can hardly browse. Another
> (possibly useful) piece of info is that about 1K bytes are being sent
> every second and the received bytes is about 5 times that.
>
> Please let me know what could be wrong in the configuration.

Sounds distinctly like a virus to me, my friend. Go to
http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm
and do a virus scan. I had the same problem on our office
server (Win Server 2003) prior to us getting broadband.

James H

Bob Haroche

      6th Apr 2004
Perhaps you have some spyware installed? You might try the freeware SpyBot
Search and Destroy to track it down. Google about for it.

You might also try a Network packet sniffer to read the packets being sent
out. There are free versions at www.nonags.com.

Good luck.

Regards,
Bob Haroche