Windows 2000 pro will not install succesfully

=?Utf-8?B?ZmlyZW1hbmRhbjkwMA==?=

      17th May 2006
First time I had an old 98 on bottom and had it reformat NTS but it got to
one DLL could'nt find it rety and it locked. Brough it back up confirmed I
luckly had an old 98 disk and than I format again and it can't find setup
files! IT says to move files to hardrive? There is no longer an OS on the PC.
What can I do?

Dave Patrick

      17th May 2006
Check the pc, mobo or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios
and or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Setup inspects your computer's hardware configuration and then begins to
install the Setup and driver files. When the Windows 2000 Professional
screen appears, press ENTER to set up Windows 2000 Professional.

Read the license agreement, and then press the F8 key to accept the terms of
the license agreement and continue the installation.

When the Windows 2000 Professional Setup screen appears, all the existing
partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard
disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partitions Press D to delete an
existing partition, If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must
then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System
partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this
step for each of the existing partitions When all the partitions are deleted
press F3 to exit setup, (to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with
your new install) then restart the pc then when you get to this point in
setup again select the unpartitioned space, and then press C to create a new
partition and specify the size (if required). Windows will by default use
all available space.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../W2KSP4_EN.EXE
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS03-043.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS03-049.mspx

Then

Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"firemandan900" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| First time I had an old 98 on bottom and had it reformat NTS but it got to
| one DLL could'nt find it rety and it locked. Brough it back up confirmed I
| luckly had an old 98 disk and than I format again and it can't find setup
| files! IT says to move files to hardrive? There is no longer an OS on the
PC.
| What can I do?

JCO

      22nd May 2006
I've seen this happen before when I had a bad motherboard.
I could not pin down the problem because each time I did an install it could
of been a different file that it could not copy.

Good luck.