Windows 2000 hangs when running dos based time and attendance programme when communicating through COM port

plastic_man

      15th Mar 2004
Windows 2000 hangs when running dos based time and attendance programme when
communicating through COM port.

We have OLD time and attendance software that is DOS based.

I have tried to run it on a windows 2000 machine and although some bits work
when we try and communicate through the COM port it hangs.

Any help would be appreciated - in the mean time i'll keep trying to work it
out.

Fixes tried

COM port settings changed to that of the old machine.

Full administrator permissions on the win 2000.

Windows 2000 on SP4

Thanks

Plastic_Man

Steve Parry [MVP]

      15th Mar 2004
In news:%(E-Mail Removed),
plastic_man <(E-Mail Removed)> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> Windows 2000 hangs when running dos based time and attendance
> programme when communicating through COM port.
>
> We have OLD time and attendance software that is DOS based.
>
> I have tried to run it on a windows 2000 machine and although some
> bits work when we try and communicate through the COM port it hangs.
>
> Any help would be appreciated - in the mean time i'll keep trying to
> work it out.
>
> Fixes tried
>
> COM port settings changed to that of the old machine.
>
> Full administrator permissions on the win 2000.
>
> Windows 2000 on SP4
>

> Thanks

Given that it's a DOS based program it's probably trying to access the
hardware direct which Windows 2000 (or any other NT based OS) will not
allow.

Have you enabled/used compatibility mode?

Maybe easier to use an old machine with Win 9x on it?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Pavel A.

      15th Mar 2004
But the compatibility mode is not relevant for dos apps, isn't it?
-PA

"Steve Parry [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:%(E-Mail Removed),
> plastic_man <(E-Mail Removed)> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> > Windows 2000 hangs when running dos based time and attendance
> > programme when communicating through COM port.
> >
> > We have OLD time and attendance software that is DOS based.
> >
> > I have tried to run it on a windows 2000 machine and although some
> > bits work when we try and communicate through the COM port it hangs.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated - in the mean time i'll keep trying to
> > work it out.
> >
> > Fixes tried
> >
> > COM port settings changed to that of the old machine.
> >
> > Full administrator permissions on the win 2000.
> >
> > Windows 2000 on SP4
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> Given that it's a DOS based program it's probably trying to access the
> hardware direct which Windows 2000 (or any other NT based OS) will not
> allow.
>
> Have you enabled/used compatibility mode?

> Maybe easier to use an old machine with Win 9x on it?
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

plastic_man

      15th Mar 2004
I'll try the compatibility mode. I did think it was odd that there were no
options for it. Extra odd that it's a hidden feature.

The application currently runs on a Win95 machine, but there are only so
many network connections on the work site, and we just ordered a half dozen
new Win2000 machines. It's a pain for the non-computer-philes who work in
the affected office to switch the network cable, LPT1 dongle, AND device
serial plug every time they need to use that legacy app.

Plastic Man

Steve Parry [MVP]

      15th Mar 2004
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
plastic_man <(E-Mail Removed)> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> I'll try the compatibility mode. I did think it was odd that there
> were no options for it. Extra odd that it's a hidden feature.
>
> The application currently runs on a Win95 machine, but there are only
> so many network connections on the work site, and we just ordered a
> half dozen new Win2000 machines. It's a pain for the
> non-computer-philes who work in the affected office to switch the
> network cable, LPT1 dongle, AND device serial plug every time they
> need to use that legacy app.
>
> Plastic Man

if you're using RJ45 connections there are splitters availabale to allow
two connections from one wall socket ... such as

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/RJ45SPLITTER.htm

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk