window open on startup

Chris Cowles

      14th Jun 2004
On my workstation an explorer window opens for every user account. It's the
same window for all accounts. Nothing related is in startup folder, or
HK??\software\...\Run, at least nothing I can relate it to.

I'm stumped. I've searched Google but find nothing I can translate to my
problem. Any suggestions?

I did run some install, uninstall, and SpyBot recently. I'm sure that's
related to this window, but can't determine what.

Since the same window opens for all accounts, I'm guessing it's in HKLM but,
again, I can't pinpoint it.

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

Doug Knox MS-MVP

      14th Jun 2004
What is the specific folder that opens? Is it the same for every user?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Chris Cowles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On my workstation an explorer window opens for every user account. It's the
> same window for all accounts. Nothing related is in startup folder, or
> HK??\software\...\Run, at least nothing I can relate it to.
>
> I'm stumped. I've searched Google but find nothing I can translate to my
> problem. Any suggestions?
>
> I did run some install, uninstall, and SpyBot recently. I'm sure that's
> related to this window, but can't determine what.
>
> Since the same window opens for all accounts, I'm guessing it's in HKLM but,
> again, I can't pinpoint it.
>
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL

Chris Cowles

      14th Jun 2004
Same for all users. Program Files\Microsoft, containing a folder but no
files: Intellisynch for MSN. The Intellisynch folder does contain files. I
did recently install that, but had to do a rollback for other reasons.

When I log into MSN and click the Intellisynch icon within it, I get the
download page rather than a synch. Apparently something related to it is
damaged. I want to uninstall this anyway, since MSN doesn't seem to allow
categories in the contacts list.

With your question prompting an idea, I reinstalled Intellisynch, then
uninstalled it and
restarted. Now I still get the same folder (Program Files\Microsoft)
opening, but the Intellisynch subfolder is gone.

Where to, now?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
What is the specific folder that opens? Is it the same for every user?

"Chris Cowles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On my workstation an explorer window opens for every user account. It's

the
> same window for all accounts. Nothing related is in startup folder, or
> HK??\software\...\Run, at least nothing I can relate it to.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

      14th Jun 2004
Chris,

This is usually related to a command line that uses long file names (has spaces in the path or file name). Check the properties of all the shortcuts in the Start Menu, Programs, Startup folder. If a command line has spaces in it, it needs to be enclosed in quotes.

If nothing there fits the bill, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

and

Look in the right pane for the startup values there. Again, if it has a long file name, it should be in quotes. To change an entry, double click it, or right click it and select Modify.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Chris Cowles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same for all users. Program Files\Microsoft, containing a folder but no
> files: Intellisynch for MSN. The Intellisynch folder does contain files. I
> did recently install that, but had to do a rollback for other reasons.
>
> When I log into MSN and click the Intellisynch icon within it, I get the
> download page rather than a synch. Apparently something related to it is
> damaged. I want to uninstall this anyway, since MSN doesn't seem to allow
> categories in the contacts list.
>
> With your question prompting an idea, I reinstalled Intellisynch, then
> uninstalled it and
> restarted. Now I still get the same folder (Program Files\Microsoft)
> opening, but the Intellisynch subfolder is gone.
>
> Where to, now?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the specific folder that opens? Is it the same for every user?
>
> "Chris Cowles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On my workstation an explorer window opens for every user account. It's

> the
>> same window for all accounts. Nothing related is in startup folder, or
>> HK??\software\...\Run, at least nothing I can relate it to.

Chris Cowles

      14th Jun 2004
Found a few meeting that description but they've been there awhile. Will
report back tomorrow after editing.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Chris,

This is usually related to a command line that uses long file names (has
spaces in the path or file name). Check the properties of all the
shortcuts in the Start Menu, Programs, Startup folder. If a command line
has spaces in it, it needs to be enclosed in quotes.

Chris Cowles

      15th Jun 2004
It's gone. Either editing the startup command lines to add quotes, or
reinstalling/reunistalling Intellisynch for MSN did it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris,
>
> This is usually related to a command line that uses long file names (has
> spaces in the path or file name). Check the properties of all the
> shortcuts in the Start Menu, Programs, Startup folder. If a command line
> has spaces in it, it needs to be enclosed in quotes.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

      15th Jun 2004
You're welcome