Windoiws installer corrupted ?

jarmopy

      9th Jul 2004
Hi everybody,
my Windows 2000 server + SP4 has a problem :-}

Every msi installation is stopped.
Only the text "Configuring Windows Installer" (or something like that) is
displayed and nothing happens after that. The installation is stuck and must
be killed by task manager.

I have tried to reinstall installer version 2 but no help. I am not sure if
this was succesfull. At the beginning it complaints that the servise already
exist, but removing some files (found instructions from one newsgroup) it
did not give that error any more. I still have the feeling that the msi
installaton is not good. It did not copy the necessary files under system32
folder. I did some modification manually.

Must I run the Windows repair from the original installation CD + SP4 or
what ?

The machine is working OK (I hope), only msi packet installations cause
trouble.

Best Regads
Jarmo

Mac

      8th Aug 2004
Hi,

I am also having the same problem as you.What happened
to your problem?? is it solved ? If yes pls help me how.
I frustrated with all articles and solutions, none of the
solution is working. Pls help
Thanx
mac

Tim Macaulay[MSFT]

      10th Aug 2004
First, I would not recommend that you rename the Windows Installer files
and install the redistributable. The Windows Installer 2.0 is an integral
part of the Windows OS, and the version in Service Pack 4 is a later build
than that of the Redistributable.

If you feel that the Windows Installer component is messed up, then I would
recommend a reinstall of the Service Pack 4 to resolve the issue. If you
want to see what is happening with the Windows Installer when it hangs up
at the dialog, then I would recommend to enable the Windows Installer
verbose Logging and Log the information. You can also use Filemon and
Regmon to see what is happening.

Filemon and Regmon can be downloaded from http://www.sysinternals.com.

223300 How to Enable Windows Installer Logging
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223300

Cheers,
Tim Macaulay, MCSD, MCP.Net
Microsoft Corp.

=?Utf-8?B?amFybW9weQ==?=

      16th Aug 2004
Hi,

the only way I got this working was Windows reinstallation.
SP4 reinstallation or Windows repair did not help.

Regards
Jarmo