Win32 WnetEnumResources() API call fails to retrieve Netware services provider

niry@whale-com.com

      15th Aug 2005
Hello everyone,
I have a very strange problem which can be reproduced when using
Netware Novell Client 4.91 (4.91.0.20050216)
This happens on both Win2k server with service Pack 4 and Win2k3 server

with service pack 1.

The Wnet API included on Microsoft SDK provides the function
WNetEnumResources. This function can be used to enumerate network
resources such network providers, domains, computers, shares etc ....

I have written a small piece of code that enumerates all netwrok
resources. Part of it enumerates all network providers (which are in my

case: NetWare Services, Microsoft Terminal services, Microsoft Windows
Network and Web Client Networks).
When I run the executable manually, I retrieve all network providers as

expected, but when the same code is executed by a service (that runs
under local system) the "Netware services" is not enumerated), changing

the service to run under administrative user account does not help
either.

This does not happen on Novell 4.9.0 client (on both Win2k and win2k3),

so it seems the problem is related to Novell client 4.91 rather than
the operating system.

For general information the list of network provides is what you get
when you press "My Network places" icon from desktop and than from left

pane select the "Entire network" menu item.

Ideas anyone ?
Thank you in advance

In Disguise

      16th Aug 2005
Have you downloaded all updates for the Client?

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have a very strange problem which can be reproduced when using
> Netware Novell Client 4.91 (4.91.0.20050216)
> This happens on both Win2k server with service Pack 4 and Win2k3 server
>
> with service pack 1.
>

> The Wnet API included on Microsoft SDK provides the function
> WNetEnumResources. This function can be used to enumerate network
> resources such network providers, domains, computers, shares etc ....
>

> I have written a small piece of code that enumerates all netwrok
> resources. Part of it enumerates all network providers (which are in my
>
> case: NetWare Services, Microsoft Terminal services, Microsoft Windows
> Network and Web Client Networks).
> When I run the executable manually, I retrieve all network providers as
>
> expected, but when the same code is executed by a service (that runs
> under local system) the "Netware services" is not enumerated), changing
>
> the service to run under administrative user account does not help
> either.
>

> This does not happen on Novell 4.9.0 client (on both Win2k and win2k3),
>
> so it seems the problem is related to Novell client 4.91 rather than
> the operating system.
>

> For general information the list of network provides is what you get
> when you press "My Network places" icon from desktop and than from left
>
> pane select the "Entire network" menu item.
>

> Ideas anyone ?
> Thank you in advance

niry@whale-com.com

      16th Aug 2005
Novell client update agent suggests that client is updated, so it seems
the answer is yes.

Keith V. Klenke

      23rd Aug 2005
those updates would be from
stable: http://support.novell.com/filefinder/20609/index.html
beta: http://support.novell.com/filefinder/20609/beta.html

I think the update agent you speak of that is built into the client is an
administrative update source you create yourself for the local network, it
doesnt go out to novell's site & get the latest nwclient32 491 updates.

btw, to keep up with all the latest patches:
http://support.novell.com/filefinder/month/index.html

http://www.abend.org Novell news for professionals
news:(E-Mail Removed)...