Win2K SP4 freezes with new board

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBHcm9zcw==?=

      4th Jan 2006
I have a new P4VM800 board with a 2.26Ghz Celeron chip. BIOS recognizes the
CPU during startup, and windows runs for a random amount of time, but freezes
after a while.

What would make it do that? Should I replace the board or re-install windows?

John John

      4th Jan 2006
How to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292175/

John

Carl Gross wrote:

> I have a new P4VM800 board with a 2.26Ghz Celeron chip. BIOS recognizes the
> CPU during startup, and windows runs for a random amount of time, but freezes
> after a while.
>
> What would make it do that? Should I replace the board or re-install windows?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBHcm9zcw==?=

      5th Jan 2006
Something I noticed about my workstation: I removed and uninstalled the
wireless network card (so now I have no PCI devices installed) and it has
been running fine since then. I haven't had time to re-install this but will
let you know how it goes when I do.

"John John" wrote:

> How to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292175/
>
> John
>
> Carl Gross wrote:
>
> > I have a new P4VM800 board with a 2.26Ghz Celeron chip. BIOS recognizes the
> > CPU during startup, and windows runs for a random amount of time, but freezes
> > after a while.
> >
> > What would make it do that? Should I replace the board or re-install windows?

John John

      5th Jan 2006
You might also want to check here:

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows
Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

John

Carl Gross wrote:

> Something I noticed about my workstation: I removed and uninstalled the
> wireless network card (so now I have no PCI devices installed) and it has
> been running fine since then. I haven't had time to re-install this but will
> let you know how it goes when I do.
>
> "John John" wrote:
>

>>How to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292175/
>>
>>John
>>
>>Carl Gross wrote:
>>

>>>I have a new P4VM800 board with a 2.26Ghz Celeron chip. BIOS recognizes the
>>>CPU during startup, and windows runs for a random amount of time, but freezes
>>>after a while.
>>>
>>>What would make it do that? Should I replace the board or re-install windows?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBHcm9zcw==?=

      5th Jan 2006
Thank you for the reference. I tried that (except I used a repair because it
gave me the blue screen of death with an ugly IDE error when restarting with
the old disk) and it worked except I couldn't attach to the Exchange Server.
I could only see the mail through OWA. Curious.

With this board though, I also upgraded the HD, so it was a fresh install.