Win2k parallel installation, Setup can't restart

=?Utf-8?B?amVycnkyMjI=?=

      24th Apr 2007
Win2kpro can't start (.........\Drivers\ntfs.sys error ) so tried a repair
install. Insatlled win2k into a new folder named WINNT.alt. Afterwards I
installed the OS to a different folder named WINNT2. Boot to OS CD. Accept
EULA (F8), select R (repair). Windows deleted files and then copied files.
System rebooted, got windows 2000 GUI, with message at bottom saying 'Windows
2000 is starting up'. Black console screen then appears with win2k gui and
message at top saying 'Setup is being restarted........ ' OS CD spin then
stop. Got dark console screen which stayed on and setup didn't restart.
Rebooted, went to win2k setup, repair console, and did chkdsk /r. Restarted
and got same result. The hdd has two Windows folders WINNT and WINNT2. The
1st has a lot of folders and files like a normal system. WINN2 has only 2
folders, system and system32. system is empty, system32 has folders config,
drivers, os2, ras and spool. os2 has a dll folder which is empty, spool has a
drivers folder which is empty. The other system32 folders are empty. Should I
delete WINNT2? I don't see the WINNT.alt folder that was created. Why can't
Win2k Setup restart?

Dave Patrick

      24th Apr 2007
So you now have one damaged install and two extra partial installs? What
were you going to do if one of them succeeded? Try a new install to \winnt2.
Setup will overwrite whatever is there. Be sure to F6 if necessary and
provide and third party controller drivers required.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]