Win2003 not listening for NTP on Port 123

jwgoerlich@gmail.com

      21st Jun 2005
We are configuring Win2003 domain controllers to be the primary network
time source. All non-Windows servers are setup to use NTP. The Unix
servers work fine but we are having some problems with the Netware
servers. In diagnosing, I noticed that the domain controllers are not
listening on port 123 (confirmed this with telnet and a port scanner.)

Should Win2003 servers be listening on NTP port 123? If no, then why
not?

Thanks in advance,

J Wolfgang Goerlich

Richard G. Harper

      21st Jun 2005
Windows Server 2003 is not an NTP server. It does synchronize with NTP
sources when configured to, but it does not serve NTP. You won't find it
listening on the NTP port but it will query an external NTP source if you've
set it up correctly.

Start here:

Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are configuring Win2003 domain controllers to be the primary network
> time source. All non-Windows servers are setup to use NTP. The Unix
> servers work fine but we are having some problems with the Netware
> servers. In diagnosing, I noticed that the domain controllers are not
> listening on port 123 (confirmed this with telnet and a port scanner.)
>
> Should Win2003 servers be listening on NTP port 123? If no, then why
> not?

jwgoerlich@gmail.com

      22nd Jun 2005
> Windows Server 2003 is not an NTP server.

That does not seem right. The Unix servers see the Win2003 box (with
the PDC role) as a stratum 1 NTP source. Their NTP daemon recognizes my
other Win2003 DC as a stratum 2 NTP server. Those are syncing fine.
Win2003 is acting as an NTP server.

Is the port not actively listening because the service is on UDP?

J Wolfgang Goerlich

Richard G. Harper

      23rd Jun 2005
Correction - yes Windows Server 2003 does provide an NTP server. Sorry, I
was thinking Windows Server 2000 which uses SNTP instead.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows Server 2003 is not an NTP server.

> That does not seem right. The Unix servers see the Win2003 box (with
> the PDC role) as a stratum 1 NTP source. Their NTP daemon recognizes my
> other Win2003 DC as a stratum 2 NTP server. Those are syncing fine.
> Win2003 is acting as an NTP server.
>
> Is the port not actively listening because the service is on UDP?
>
> J Wolfgang Goerlich

Tony

      25th Jun 2005
Configuring the Windows Time service to use an internal hardware clock
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To configure the PDC master without using an external time source, change
the announce flag on the PDC master. The PDC master is the server that holds
the forest root PDC master role for the domain. This configuration forces
the PDC master to announce itself as a reliable time source and uses the
built-in complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) clock. To configure
the PDC master by using an internal hardware clock, follow these steps: 1.
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\Announce
Flags
3. In the right pane, right-click AnnounceFlags, and then click
Modify.
4. In Edit DWORD Value, type A in the Value data box, and then click
OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.
6. At the command prompt, type the following command to restart the
Windows Time service, and then press ENTER:
net stop w32time && net start w32time

This appears to infer that windows 2000/2003 server is in fact a valid Time
source. Just ensure your hardware clock is correct obviously.