PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Win2000Pro is slower on the Internet than Win98se

 
 
Buffalo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Sep 2009
I run a dual boot system with one HDD. 2000pro-98se

I posted in early Sept about this problem, but did not get a reply.

There is quite a difference in Internet connection speed.(Comcast)
Normally dl speed is around 2.5 Mbps compared to around 8-10Mbps with SE and
the other two computers when using numion.com.
Shows higher when testing with speedtest.net or speedtest.comcast.net due to
Comcast PowerBoost.

Upload speed is basically the same on all systems (around 2.6Mbps)

Surfspeed (according to numion.com) is also vastly different.
Well over 1Mbps for all the others while only around 250000bps on my
Win2000Pro System.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Buffalo
PS: Running an AMD Athlon Mobile cpu at around 2+GHz with 1GB of ram.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Sep 2009

These might help.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=120642
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826159
http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Buffalo" wrote:
>I run a dual boot system with one HDD. 2000pro-98se
>
> I posted in early Sept about this problem, but did not get a reply.
>
> There is quite a difference in Internet connection speed.(Comcast)
> Normally dl speed is around 2.5 Mbps compared to around 8-10Mbps with SE
> and
> the other two computers when using numion.com.
> Shows higher when testing with speedtest.net or speedtest.comcast.net due
> to
> Comcast PowerBoost.
>
> Upload speed is basically the same on all systems (around 2.6Mbps)
>
> Surfspeed (according to numion.com) is also vastly different.
> Well over 1Mbps for all the others while only around 250000bps on my
> Win2000Pro System.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Buffalo
> PS: Running an AMD Athlon Mobile cpu at around 2+GHz with 1GB of ram.
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Buffalo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Sep 2009


Dave Patrick wrote:
> These might help.
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=120642
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826159
> http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm
>


I really couldn't get enough out of them.
Don't understand what they were trying to say and some of them were for
XP,2000Server, etc.
Still need help.
Thanks
Buffalo
PS: I have no problem with editing the Registry.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Sep 2009
"Buffalo" wrote:
> I really couldn't get enough out of them.
> Don't understand what they were trying to say

*** You might be better off getting someone to help you. You can't make
these changes without a full understanding. You can also try some of the
automated tools out there but be sure your backups are current.


and some of them were for
> XP,2000Server, etc.

*** Makes no difference.


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


 
Reply With Quote
 
Buffalo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Sep 2009


Dave Patrick wrote:
> "Buffalo" wrote:
>> I really couldn't get enough out of them.
>> Don't understand what they were trying to say

> *** You might be better off getting someone to help you. You can't
> make these changes without a full understanding. You can also try
> some of the automated tools out there but be sure your backups are
> current.
>
>
> and some of them were for
>> XP,2000Server, etc.

> *** Makes no difference.


Just different Registry keys.
How do I check to see what the MRU really is?
I tried the Ping in Dos and an MRU of 1472 worked just fine.
It still amazes me that Win2000Pro is running way slower on the Internet
than my Win98SE when both OS's are on the same HDD,the same machine (dual
boot) and with the same PCI Internet Adapter.
Buffalo


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Sep 2009

You might try here.

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/MTU



--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Buffalo" wrote:
> Just different Registry keys.
> How do I check to see what the MRU really is?
> I tried the Ping in Dos and an MRU of 1472 worked just fine.
> It still amazes me that Win2000Pro is running way slower on the Internet
> than my Win98SE when both OS's are on the same HDD,the same machine (dual
> boot) and with the same PCI Internet Adapter.
> Buffalo
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Buffalo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Sep 2009


Dave Patrick wrote:
> You might try here.
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/MTU
>
>
>
>
> "Buffalo" wrote:
>> Just different Registry keys.
>> How do I check to see what the MRU really is?
>> I tried the Ping in Dos and an MRU of 1472 worked just fine.
>> It still amazes me that Win2000Pro is running way slower on the
>> Internet than my Win98SE when both OS's are on the same HDD,the same
>> machine (dual boot) and with the same PCI Internet Adapter.
>> Buffalo


Dave,
Thanks alot for that link.
I forgot all about using the GUI program called DrTCP.
I found that my RWIN setting was 17520.
My MSS Requested was 1460, which is correct when using a MTU of 1500.

They recommended I set RWIN to a value between 75920 and 200020. (mine
was set to only 17520)
I set the RWIN to 100020 and the MTU to 1500, (the only two values I
entered in DrTCP).
The result was quite amazing while doing a speedtest on Numion.com.
I went from 2-3Mbps to 18-20Mbps (I think that was Comcast PowerBoost).
I will do more testing with different values to see what happens.
Very happy with your suggestions.
Buffalo


 
Reply With Quote
 
Buffalo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Sep 2009


Buffalo wrote:
> Dave,
> Thanks alot for that link.
> I forgot all about using the GUI program called DrTCP.
> I found that my RWIN setting was 17520.
> My MSS Requested was 1460, which is correct when using a MTU of 1500.
>
> They recommended I set RWIN to a value between 75920 and 200020.
> (mine was set to only 17520)
> I set the RWIN to 100020 and the MTU to 1500, (the only two values I
> entered in DrTCP).
> The result was quite amazing while doing a speedtest on Numion.com.
> I went from 2-3Mbps to 18-20Mbps (I think that was Comcast
> PowerBoost). I will do more testing with different values to see what
> happens.
> Very happy with your suggestions.
> Buffalo


I just changed the RWIN to 101640 from 100020 so that 4620 could be divided
into it.
I tried higher values, but overall, this one seems to be working more
consistently.
I may experiment more later, but I am very happy with the new results.
Thanks again,
Buffalo
PS: I may even try lower values, starting at 75920, if I have time.
I have to reboot each time I change the value, I believe.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Sep 2009
Glad to hear it works.


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Buffalo" wrote:
> I just changed the RWIN to 101640 from 100020 so that 4620 could be
> divided
> into it.
> I tried higher values, but overall, this one seems to be working more
> consistently.
> I may experiment more later, but I am very happy with the new results.
> Thanks again,
> Buffalo
> PS: I may even try lower values, starting at 75920, if I have time.
> I have to reboot each time I change the value, I believe.
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP Home getting slower & slower =?Utf-8?B?S3JvYmU1MTQ2NQ==?= Windows XP Help 5 22nd Feb 2005 04:14 PM
XP geting slower and slower =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?= Windows XP Help 1 7th May 2004 06:40 PM
Upgraded from ME to XP now it is getting slower and slower. =?Utf-8?B?dmFudnMwNzAy?= Windows XP Help 4 21st Feb 2004 04:19 AM
My XP seems to be getting slower and slower Keith Windows XP Performance 2 24th Nov 2003 01:49 AM
XP just gets SLOWER AND SLOWER SuperX Windows XP Help 24 21st Nov 2003 09:31 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:28 PM.