Win XP/Vista dual boot but boots into XP only

Gis Bun

      18th May 2009
OK. A while back, I had Win XP on drive C. I installed Win Vista x64
[Ultimate retail] on drive D [needed to boot to the DVd as the system booted
up]. Worked perfectly .... Unitil I had hard disk issues.

Reinstalled Win XP late last year and decided to reinstall Vista x64 again.
Followed just like above. Everything went smoothly.

Rebooted. Went directly into Win XP. No menu or anything. Never saw the
Vista bootloader.

Booted off the Vista DVD and selected repair.

Ran bootrec /scanos - detected only Vista.

Tried the /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd and /fixboot and none worked.

Ideas?

Thanks

HF

      18th May 2009
Go here and download EasyBcd Probably
help ----http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

"Gis Bun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK. A while back, I had Win XP on drive C. I installed Win Vista x64
> [Ultimate retail] on drive D [needed to boot to the DVd as the system
> booted
> up]. Worked perfectly .... Unitil I had hard disk issues.
>
> Reinstalled Win XP late last year and decided to reinstall Vista x64
> again.
> Followed just like above. Everything went smoothly.
>
> Rebooted. Went directly into Win XP. No menu or anything. Never saw the
> Vista bootloader.
>
> Booted off the Vista DVD and selected repair.
>
> Ran bootrec /scanos - detected only Vista.
>
> Tried the /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd and /fixboot and none worked.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

John Inzer

      18th May 2009
Gis Bun wrote:
> OK. A while back, I had Win XP on drive C. I installed Win Vista x64
> [Ultimate retail] on drive D [needed to boot to the DVd as the system
> booted up]. Worked perfectly .... Unitil I had hard disk issues.
>
> Reinstalled Win XP late last year and decided to reinstall Vista x64
> again. Followed just like above. Everything went smoothly.
>
> Rebooted. Went directly into Win XP. No menu or anything. Never saw
> the Vista bootloader.
>
> Booted off the Vista DVD and selected repair.
>
> Ran bootrec /scanos - detected only Vista.
>
> Tried the /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd and /fixboot and none worked.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

================================
Maybe VistaBootPRO would be worth a look:
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Gis Bun

      18th May 2009
It worked nicely.

But with a word of warning. I found out on my next Win XP bootup that it
seems the software installs a hidden task scheduler job in Win XP.

According to the author, this is to check for updates. A strange way to
check for updates through a RSS feed. It also stops after 5 hours and change
and the first run is about 30 minutes of installing EasyBootBCD.

Personally, I'll hopefully use it once and that's it. I don't need to check
for update for a one time thing [same reason why I didn't bother with
VistaBootPro. Why pay $10 for a small issue that I could blame on MS?].