win 2k network id question/reset sys info

=?Utf-8?B?d3JhcA==?=

      19th Nov 2007
my appologies if this posts twice, I tried once before. I was trying to make
it easier to access my win 2k machine from the XP pc's on my home network.
Other 2 connect/share fine. Can see xp machines and printers from win 2k pc
and can share printer on win 2k pc. I could never see the win 2k pc from
normal "my network places" but could get on it by "search for computer and
enter win 2k pc computer name & then user/pw. I could add shortcuts to xp pc
but would lose them when i had to reboot xp pc. I was trying to change
something on the win 2k pc, was tired of always fussing with it. Went to
control panel-system properties-network Id and then clicked Network ID
button. Then changed option from “part of business network…” to “is for home
use…”. Said ok on reboot. When the system came back up I had lost half of my
shortcut icons and when I tried to launch IE I get the “Getting Started with
Win 2k” window to Register Now or Discover Win or Connect to the Internet. Is
there a way to reset my registry or ?? to yesterday so I don’t lose all of my
old set up?? Also any ideas on how to share the win 2k pc in “my network
places”?
tks

Dave Patrick

      20th Nov 2007
On a newly-joined-to-the-domain PC if you logon to the pc first, then to the
domain you would end up with two profiles.
%username%
and
%username%.%userdomain%
Else if you logon to the domain first, then to the pc you would end up with
%username%
and
%username%.%computername%

Depending on your situation one of them is now orphaned but you can run
regedt32.exe and navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList locate the new profile SID and edit the
Reg_Expand_Sz 'ProfileImagePath' to point back to the old domain profile.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]