Wildcard "special" searches

Peter T. Daniels

      25th Jul 2012
(Word2007)

My authors are European, so they love to put their periods and commas
after their footnote references, but that's not how we Americans do
it. I'm getting tired of manually moving the punctuation around (and
the Transpose macro results in a superscript period before the
footnote reference, which isn't an improvement).

Word tells me that I cannot use both ^f and Wildcards in a
(Find-)Replace, so how can I automate this procedure? (Is it possible
to modify the Transpose macro to not affect the Superscript status of
the characters involved, since it's unlikely in the extreme that a
typo would involve superscripting!)

(Here's the text of the macro that was provided here years ago; it was
modified from the original because it was taking longer and longer to
work as a file got bigger, so a checking operation was removed.)

Sub Transpose()
Dim oRng As Range
Dim sText As String
Dim Msg1 As String
Dim Msg2 As String
Dim Msg3 As String
Dim MsgTitle As String
Msg1 = "You must place the cursor between " & _
"the 2 characters to be transposed!"
Msg2 = "There are no characters to transpose?"
Msg3 = "There is no document open!"
MsgTitle = "Transpose Characters"
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
Set oRng = Selection.Range
Select Case Len(oRng)
Case Is = 0
If oRng.Start = oRng.Paragraphs(1).Range.Start Then
MsgBox Msg1, vbCritical, MsgTitle
Exit Sub
End If
If oRng.End = oRng.Paragraphs(1).Range.End - 1 Then
MsgBox Msg1, vbCritical, MsgTitle
Exit Sub
End If
With oRng
.Start = .Start - 1
.End = .End + 1
.Select
sText = .Text
End With
Case Is = 1
MsgBox Msg1, vbCritical, MsgTitle
Exit Sub
Case Is = 2
sText = Selection.Range.Text
Case Else
MsgBox Msg1, vbCritical, MsgTitle
Exit Sub
End Select
With Selection
If .Range.Characters(1).Case = 1 _
And .Range.Characters(2).Case = 0 Then
.TypeText UCase(Mid(sText, 2, 1)) & _
LCase(Mid(sText, 1, 1))
Else
.TypeText Mid(sText, 2, 1) & _
Mid(sText, 1, 1)
End If
.MoveLeft wdCharacter
End With
End
ErrorHandler:
If Err.Number = 4248 Then
MsgBox Msg3, vbCritical, MsgTitle
End If
End Sub

Peter T. Daniels

      26th Jul 2012
Thank you, and did you test it? It doesn't appear to refer to the
special nature of a footnote reference, as opposed to simply dealing
with Superscript format.

Can you point to exactly what the modifications are, so that I can
make just those changes, as opposed to replacing the whole thing and
then maybe having to go back to the earlier version? (I see 7 lines, 2
+ 5, set off near the end.)

On Jul 26, 9:33*am, Venky62
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> End
> ErrorHandler:
> If Err.Number = 4248 Then
> MsgBox Msg3, vbCritical, MsgTitle
> End If
> End Sub
>
> Peter T. Daniels;492888 Wrote:
>
> > (Word2007)

> > My authors are European, so they love to put their periods and commas
> > after their footnote references, but that's not how we Americans do
> > it. I'm getting tired of manually moving the punctuation around (and
> > the Transpose macro results in a superscript period before the
> > footnote reference, which isn't an improvement).

> > Word tells me that I cannot use both ^f and Wildcards in a
> > (Find-)Replace, so how can I automate this procedure? (Is it possible
> > to modify the Transpose macro to not affect the Superscript status of
> > the characters involved, since it's unlikely in the extreme that a

      27th Jul 2012
Why would I want to cut and paste the footnote, instead of cutting and
pasting the punctuation mark? (If Track Changes were on, it would
create tremendous havoc in the notes, because it gives a number to
both a deleted and an inserted copy of the same note.)

And it would be better to do them individually rather than all at
once.

The reason for the wild card is so that I can put the cursor between
the note and the following period, comma, etc., and press Ctrl-T (the
shortcut I assigned to the Transpose macro). Is there some other way
to accomplish that?

If it has to be a separate macro, I can give it Ctrl-Shift-T. If that
comes assigned to something, it's not something I use! (Just as I
assigned Ctrl-\ to Accept Change and Ctrl-Shift-\ to Reject Change --
can't imagine why any of these three shortcuts aren't built in.)

(Normally a space would not intervene, so "next character" is fine.)

Thank you for your efforts!

On Jul 26, 8:36*pm, Venky62
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> If the aim is to locate all footnotes, then ^f does that. So I have used
> the ^f in the Word Search and Replace using code and after selecting the
> footnote reference mark, it is just a matter of cutting and pasting it
> after the next character.
>
> The code below will work if there are no spaces between the footnote
> reference mark and the next character ("." or ","). If there may or may
> not be spaces, then the code has to be modified. But it can be done.
>
> Also, this code searches the whole document and transposes all the
> footnote reference marks it finds. If some footnote references are in
> the correct position and some are not, then this code will have to be
> modified further.
>
> I have tested it and it works, but with the above conditions. If you
> want it to be more foolproof, please let me know. Or you may work it out
> yourself.
>
> Sub TransposeFootnote()
> '
>
> 'Move to top of document
>
> Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory, Extend:=wdMove
>
> 'search whole document
>
> Do Until ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("\Sel").Range.End = _
> ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("\EndOfDoc").Range.End
>
> 'search for footnote
> Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
> Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
> With Selection.Find
> Text = "^f"
> Replacement.Text = ""
> Forward = True
> Wrap = wdFindStop
> End With
>
> Selection.Find.Execute
>
> 'transpose footnote
> If Selection.Find.Found = True Then
>
> With Selection
> 'cuts the footnote and pastes it after the next character.
> 'This assumes that there are no spaces between footnote reference
> mark and the next character
> Cut
> Collapse
> MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdMove
> PasteAndFormat wdFormatOriginalFormatting
> 'delete the extra space produced by cut and paste
> MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
> MoveStart Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=-1
> 'move cursor beyond the transposed footnote so as to search for
> the next
> MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=2
>
> End With
> Else
> Exit Sub
> End If
>
> Loop
>
> End Sub
>
> Peter T. Daniels;492898 Wrote:
>
> > Thank you, and did you test it? It doesn't appear to refer to the
> > special nature of a footnote reference, as opposed to simply dealing
> > with Superscript format.

> > Can you point to exactly what the modifications are, so that I can
> > make just those changes, as opposed to replacing the whole thing and
> > then maybe having to go back to the earlier version? (I see 7 lines, 2

[/i]
[/color]

> --
> Venky62[/color]

Peter T. Daniels

      27th Jul 2012
Great! Thanks! I'll try it shortly.

(I don't suppose you can handle XML? The Bibliography Tool has some
pretty annoying mistakes in it, and using Yves Dhondt's page I've been
able to correct only one of them.)

On Jul 27, 8:57*am, Venky62
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> Dim intpos1, intpos2 As Integer
>
> 'search for footnote
> Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
> Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
>
> With Selection.Find
>
> Text = "^f"
> Replacement.Text = ""
> Forward = True
> Wrap = wdFindStop
> MatchWildcards = False
>
> End With
>
> Selection.Find.Execute
>
> If Selection.Find.Found = True Then
>
> 'assign the character position of selection to variable
> intpos1 = Selection.Characters.Last. _
> Information(wdFirstCharacterColumnNumber)
>
> 'search for any character except space
> Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
> Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
> Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
>
> With Selection.Find
>
> Text = "[!"" ""]"
> Replacement.Text = ""
> Forward = True
> Wrap = wdFindStop
> MatchWildcards = True
>
> End With
>
> Selection.Find.Execute
>
> 'assign selected character's position to variable
> intpos2 = Selection.Characters.Last. _
> Information(wdFirstCharacterColumnNumber)
>
> 'transpose footnote
> With Selection
>
> 'cuts the character next to footnote and pastes it before
> the footnote reference.
> 'This will work even if there are spaces between footnote
> reference mark and the next character
> Cut
> Collapse
> MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=intpos2 - intpos1
> PasteAndFormat wdFormatOriginalFormatting
> 'move curson beyond the transposed footnote so as to search
> for the next
> MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=2
>
> End With
> Else
> Exit Sub
> End If
>
> End Sub
>
> Peter T. Daniels;492901 Wrote:
>

> > Why would I want to cut and paste the footnote, instead of cutting and
> > pasting the punctuation mark? (If Track Changes were on, it would
> > create tremendous havoc in the notes, because it gives a number to
> > both a deleted and an inserted copy of the same note.)

> > And it would be better to do them individually rather than all at
> > once.

> > The reason for the wild card is so that I can put the cursor between
> > the note and the following period, comma, etc., and press Ctrl-T (the
> > shortcut I assigned to the Transpose macro). Is there some other way
> > to accomplish that?

> > If it has to be a separate macro, I can give it Ctrl-Shift-T. If that
> > comes assigned to something, it's not something I use! (Just as I
> > assigned Ctrl-\ to Accept Change and Ctrl-Shift-\ to Reject Change --
> > can't imagine why any of these three shortcuts aren't built in.)

> > (Normally a space would not intervene, so "next character" is fine.)

Peter T. Daniels

      28th Jul 2012
I'm afraid it doesn't work ... I put an icon for it on my QAT and when I clicked it, it immediately opened the macro listing with the line "Cut" highlighted, apparently claiming that it didn't tell it what to Cut.

(I had to use the icon because I assigned Crtl-Shift-T to the macro but when I tried that in my text, it seemed to think I wanted to apply a digital signature, or something like that.)

(Any possibility that, in the fixing, you could make it work not by searching for the next footnote, but simply by placing the cursor between the footnote reference and the following character, the things that need to be transposed?)

Thank you!

[I have just been forced back into New Google Groups again, and it is now insisting on adding a blank line after every quoted line.]

On Friday, July 27, 2012 8:57:38 AM UTC-4, Venky62 wrote:
> [...]

> > pasting the punctuation mark? (If Track Changes were on, it would

> > create tremendous havoc in the notes, because it gives a number to

> > both a deleted and an inserted copy of the same note.)

> > And it would be better to do them individually rather than all at

> > once.

> > The reason for the wild card is so that I can put the cursor between

> > the note and the following period, comma, etc., and press Ctrl-T (the

> > shortcut I assigned to the Transpose macro). Is there some other way

> > to accomplish that?

> > If it has to be a separate macro, I can give it Ctrl-Shift-T. If that

> > comes assigned to something, it's not something I use! (Just as I

> > assigned Ctrl-\ to Accept Change and Ctrl-Shift-\ to Reject Change --

> > can't imagine why any of these three shortcuts aren't built in.)

> > (Normally a space would not intervene, so "next character" is fine.)

Peter T. Daniels

      29th Jul 2012
On Jul 28, 11:19*pm, Venky62
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Where are you placing the cursor ? Please try the macro with the cursor
> anywhere on the line where the footnote reference is located but before
> the footnote reference. It should work.

I placed the cursor a few characters before the footnote reference, on
the same line.

I just tried it again, and the Visual Basic window opened, with the
line "Cut" highlighted and a little box reading "Compile error: Sub or
Function not defined."

> Please let me know if it doesn't. If not, I will code for placing the
> cursor between the footnote reference and the next character. If you can
> get this macro to work, it should be even more convenient for you.

Indeed.

Peter T. Daniels

      29th Jul 2012
On Jul 29, 10:48*am, Venky62
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I can't figure it out. Maybe something was left out while copying my
> code? Is there a period before the cut statement? Like ".cut" ?

Nope. It's directly below two lines in green.

> Could you upload your document so that I could see where the error is
> creeping in?

You want me to upload my normal.dotm template somewhere? Where?

I installed the macro simply by copying your text from the newsgroup
to the clipboard, then to a Notepad file; then copied it from the
Notepad file to the template (following Greg Mayor's instructions,
which have worked all the times people have posted useful macros here
before).

> Peter T. Daniels;492930 Wrote:
>

> > On Jul 28, 11:19*pm, Venky62
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:-
> > Where are you placing the cursor ? Please try the macro with the
> > cursor
> > anywhere on the line where the footnote reference is located but
> > before
> > the footnote reference. It should work.-

> > I placed the cursor a few characters before the footnote reference, on
> > the same line.

> > I just tried it again, and the Visual Basic window opened, with the
> > line "Cut" highlighted and a little box reading "Compile error: Sub or
> > Function not defined."
> > -
> > Please let me know if it doesn't. If not, I will code for placing the
> > cursor between the footnote reference and the next character. If you
> > can
> > get this macro to work, it should be even more convenient for you.-

> > Indeed.

Peter T. Daniels

      30th Jul 2012
It works. Thank you. (I compared the two texts -- the main difference
is that you added periods to start a number of lines.)

But not when the cursor is placed between note and following
character, only when it precedes a note.

And Ctrl-Shift-T still brings up a box saying that if I want to add a
digital signature, blah-di-blah-di-blah. (I've never had trouble
assigning a shortcut before! The default assignment for Ctrl-Shift-T
is "Unhang," something I have no use for, not "digital signature"!)

Maybe Ctrl-Alt-T will do it ...

On Jul 29, 11:20*pm, Venky62
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Okay, rather than your sending the file, I am sending a txt file with
> the code that I have tested again several times, and it has worked every
> time. Hopefully, this will work now.
>
> Peter T. Daniels;492944 Wrote:

> > On Jul 29, 10:48*am, Venky62
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:-
> > I can't figure it out. Maybe something was left out while copying my
> > code? Is there a period before the cut statement? Like ".cut" ?-

> > Nope. It's directly below two lines in green.
> > -
> > Could you upload your document so that I could see where the error is
> > creeping in?-

> > You want me to upload my normal.dotm template somewhere? Where?

> > I installed the macro simply by copying your text from the newsgroup
> > to the clipboard, then to a Notepad file; then copied it from the
> > Notepad file to the template (following Greg Mayor's instructions,
> > which have worked all the times people have posted useful macros here
> > before).
> > -
> > Peter T. Daniels;492930 Wrote:

> > -
> > On Jul 28, 11:19*pm, Venky62
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:-
> > Where are you placing the cursor ? Please try the macro with the
> > cursor
> > anywhere on the line where the footnote reference is located but
> > before
> > the footnote reference. It should work.--
> > -
> > I placed the cursor a few characters before the footnote reference,
> > on
> > the same line.-
> > -
> > I just tried it again, and the Visual Basic window opened, with the
> > line "Cut" highlighted and a little box reading "Compile error: Sub
> > or
> > Function not defined."
> > -
> > Please let me know if it doesn't. If not, I will code for placing the
> > cursor between the footnote reference and the next character. If you
> > can
> > get this macro to work, it should be even more convenient for you.--
> > -
> > Indeed.--

> |Filename: TransposeFootnote.txt * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
> |Download:http://www.wordbanter.com/attachment...achmentid=134|

> Venky62-

Peter T. Daniels

      30th Jul 2012
On Jul 30, 3:19*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And Ctrl-Shift-T still brings up a box saying that if I want to add a
> digital signature, blah-di-blah-di-blah. (I've never had trouble
> assigning a shortcut before! The default assignment for Ctrl-Shift-T
> is "Unhang," something I have no use for, not "digital signature"!)
>
> Maybe Ctrl-Alt-T will do it ...

D'oh! I failed to notice that when you click "Customize" to add a
shortcut, it doesn't open to the item that's selected in the list
above, but to the first item in the first list of commands, viz.,
AddDigitalSignature!

And when I tested the new shortcut, I learned that if the period is
already before the next footnote, it'll grab the first letter of the
next sentence. Not really ideal. Takes two Undo's to set it right.

Peter T. Daniels

      31st Jul 2012
Why do you want to make it constantly _more_ complicated? I asked for
a button to do one thing (a "transpose" function that works when a
footnote reference is involved) and you've given it a multitude of
functions whose utility escapes me.

It didn't occur to me to ask about this earlier (because I hate
endnotes) -- I don't suppose this will work on endnote references as
well? (Not really a problem, because if any author had for some reason
used endnotes instead of footnotes, I'd simply use Convert to fix
them, and then when done Convert them back. A problem might arise,
though, in the rare event that a document has both footnotes and
endnotes.)

On Jul 30, 8:07*pm, Venky62 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Okay. That means your document can have a mixture or correctly placed
> footnotes and incorrect ones.

That would be its state when editing was partly finished.

> Also, there may be footnotes in the middle
> of a sentence, not only at the end.

If there's a comma after it (an individual item in a list is
footnoted, say), then it needs to be changed; if there isn't (a note
on the subject of a sentence that would be inappropriate at the end of
the sentence, for instance), then the question would not even arise.

> This code takes care of that. It searches for a footnote and asks if you
> want it to be transposed. If you click "Yes" then it will do so, else it
> will move on. Once it reaches end of document, it will ask you if you
> would like to do the search again from the beginning of document. If you
> say "Yes", then it will take you to the beginning and you can start
> again; if "No" then it does nothing.

That sounds like at least as much, if not more, work than no macro at
all. The point is to _simplify_ editing, not to add complications.

> If you still want to do it by placing the cursor between the footnote
> ref. and the next character, that can be done too. But this is more
> useful.

I suspect you've never been a copyeditor ...