PC Review

WIFI on Linux

9th Sep 2012
Hi I have a friend who's son (21yo) goes on the naughty pages on the web and has been causing havock with the family PC so they have got him a second hand PC which is running Linux, not sure of the edition so he can have it in his bedroom. I have been asked to set it up . I have a USB wirless adaptor (Belkin N150) will it be compattable with Linux?

4x4 Cruncher

9th Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootneck02 View Post
goes on the naughty pages on the web
And what "naughty pages" are these?
Just for reference mind you!

Silly Fool

9th Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootneck02 View Post
(Belkin N150) will it be compattable with Linux?

I just had a quick look on Google and yes they are compatable with Linux. As to the setting up I think Abarbarian would be better off helping you there as all the Linux stuff is like Chinese to me

sugar 'n spikes

9th Sep 2012
If you use one of the easier distros such as Linux Mint it may just be a case of clicking on a browser, wait for prompt and then enter router password. Hopefully

Kid's got great parents if they accepting he gotta look at naughty ladies of the night, lol

Of course, I'm assuming it IS females he looking at, ahem.....

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

10th Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppybootstomp View Post

Of course, I'm assuming it IS females he looking at, ahem.....

PMSL

Acruncher

10th Sep 2012
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...ardsBelkin#USB

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.p...king-in-bodhi/

The above may help.

To give more help you would need to tell us which version of the thousands of "Linux's" there are.

http://porteus.org/

You may find Porteus would be a good distro to use. Put it on a usb stick. The documentation is pretty good and even a modern 21 year old should be able to follow the clear instructions.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

12th Sep 2012
Thanks for all the help and links guy's the people havent got a new modem with wireless yet. I think the edition of OS is Linux is Lubuntu 12.04. Sorry I havent replied earlier but have been striping the broom cupboard which I call my computer room and rearainging things as I am having a bit of a clearout. by orders of she who must be obayed

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: