WIA (Windows Imaging something) - why such a stopper?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

      28th Nov 2010
My friend's XP computer was very hard to use: clicking on My Computer in
Windows Explorer caused a sort of freeze, as did using the Send To menu,
DIMAGE (software that came with a camera) popped up a "Server Busy"
window (finally opening after about 15 minutes), and save and load
windows, if you used the up button or the drop-down list to change the
save/load location from the default, also locked up. Bringing up the
TWAIN selection list also gave a freeze or _long_ pause, though if you
didn't change the selection but just used something (well, we tried the
scanner), it worked fine.

Googling brought the fact that lots of people had similar problems, and
a few reported that turning off the "service" WIA made an amazing
difference.

WIA seems to be part of Windows, and something to do with getting images
from cameras and scanners. In my friend's it case wasn't running, but
showed as "Starting" - this being some time after the computer had been
running.

We set it to Disabled (though not being sure what the difference between
Disabled and Manual would be; the other option, which it was, being
Automatic), and restarted the computer.

Amazing; everything is back as it should be - all the things that had
either frozen or paused for some minutes now work fast enough. The
scanner still works (Canon), the film scanner ditto (and we can select
which of them via the TWAIN selection list, which comes up at once). We
haven't tried anything that relies on Windows alone, such as a webcam (I
suspect that _wouldn't_ work).

What I'm curious about is: why does this "service", which seems to be a
standard part of Microsoft Windows, cause such apparently unrelated
problems when started (or rather allowed to try to start)? [And, for
that matter, what triggered the slowdown: probably something enabled the
service, such as a Windows update, but it could have been something else
which interacted badly with WIA?]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!

Tony Luxton

      19th Aug 2011
On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> My friend's XP computer was very hard to use: clicking on My Computer
> in Windows Explorer caused a sort of freeze, as did using the Send To
> menu, DIMAGE (software that came with a camera) popped up a "Server
> Busy" window (finally opening after about 15 minutes), and save and
> load windows, if you used the up button or the drop-down list to
> change the save/load location from the default, also locked up.
> Bringing up the TWAIN selection list also gave a freeze or _long_
> pause, though if you didn't change the selection but just used
> something (well, we tried the scanner), it worked fine.
>
> Googling brought the fact that lots of people had similar problems,
> and a few reported that turning off the "service" WIA made an amazing
> difference.
>
> WIA seems to be part of Windows, and something to do with getting
> images from cameras and scanners. In my friend's it case wasn't
> running, but showed as "Starting" - this being some time after the
> computer had been running.
>
> We set it to Disabled (though not being sure what the difference
> between Disabled and Manual would be; the other option, which it was,
> being Automatic), and restarted the computer.
>
> Amazing; everything is back as it should be - all the things that had
> either frozen or paused for some minutes now work fast enough. The
> scanner still works (Canon), the film scanner ditto (and we can select
> which of them via the TWAIN selection list, which comes up at once).
> We haven't tried anything that relies on Windows alone, such as a
> webcam (I suspect that _wouldn't_ work).
>
> What I'm curious about is: why does this "service", which seems to be
> a standard part of Microsoft Windows, cause such apparently unrelated
> problems when started (or rather allowed to try to start)? [And, for
> that matter, what triggered the slowdown: probably something enabled
> the service, such as a Windows update, but it could have been
> something else which interacted badly with WIA?]

Other Devices are shown in your My Computer window. Occasionally,
Windows loses track of a device, and therefore can't finish populating
the My Computer window. So it hangs. One symptom of this is that, if you
click on a random file and point to Send to, the Send to menu doesn't
fly out. If it's a permanently connected device (such as a scanner) the
fix is to unplug it and plug it in again. Setting the WIA service to
manual will cure the My Computer problem, as it will only start when
needed, as opposed to when Windows starts.

VanguardLH

      19th Aug 2011
Tony Luxton replied way too late:

> On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

<something now really old>

<tony replies way too late>

You thought after *OVER 8 MONTHS* that Gilliver was still waiting for