Why so long to copy CD files?

Sal Amie

      13th Apr 2004
It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
drive.

I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).

Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.

On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
whole CD.

(1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
structure, my PC's configuration?

(2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
quickly?

btbus.dat 50 MB
d5.dat 15 MB
d5.idx 0.9 MB
d7.dat 4.8 MB
d7.idx 1.3 MB
dbbus.dat 62 MB
icd.dat 0
lobdesc.dat 17 MB
lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
uk.dat 403 MB
ukaddr.idx 124 MB

Al Dykes

      14th Apr 2004
In article <94CAEF856B09C37E1A@64.62.191.201>,
Sal Amie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
>drive.
>
>I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
>The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
>
>Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
>drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
>bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.
>
>On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
>took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
>whole CD.
>
>(1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
>the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
>structure, my PC's configuration?
>
>(2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
>quickly?
>

>btbus.dat 50 MB
>d5.dat 15 MB
>d5.idx 0.9 MB
>d7.dat 4.8 MB
>d7.idx 1.3 MB
>dbbus.dat 62 MB
>icd.dat 0
>lobdesc.dat 17 MB
>lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
>uk.dat 403 MB
>ukaddr.idx 124 MB

This sounds like a bad spot on the CD. Try wiping it with a
very clean cloth in a radial direction, and try again.

Did the disk _ever_ work ? If this is the first time you've
tried to use it it's possible it's defective.

You can buy a "CD recovery kit" at a major computer store. It's
a very fine polish that can sometimes remove a surface defect.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Will Dormann

      14th Apr 2004
Al Dykes wrote:

> In article <94CAEF856B09C37E1A@64.62.191.201>,
> Sal Amie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
>>took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
>>whole CD.
>>

> This sounds like a bad spot on the CD. Try wiping it with a
> very clean cloth in a radial direction, and try again.
>
> Did the disk _ever_ work ? If this is the first time you've
> tried to use it it's possible it's defective.

I don't think that is the case, as the OP mentioned that he could read
in and create an image of the whole cd in 2 or 3 minutes.

-WD

Mike Richter

      14th Apr 2004
Sal Amie wrote:

> It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
> drive.
>
> I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
> The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
>
> Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
> drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
> bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.

Probably a poorly written disc; check the disc for errors (SpeedDisk or
CD/DVD Diagnostic). Your symptom is typical of needing many rereads to
get a good handle on the data.

Mike
--
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.mrichter.com/

smh

      14th Apr 2004
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) spewed:

> Sal Amie wrote:
>
> > It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
> > drive.
> >
> > I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
> > The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
> >
> > Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
> > drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
> > bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.

Did Mikey snip these accidentally?
On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
whole CD.

> Probably a poorly written disc; check the disc for errors (SpeedDisk or
> CD/DVD Diagnostic). Your symptom is typical of needing many rereads to
> get a good handle on the data.

Did you snip accidentally, Mikey?

Graham Mayor

      14th Apr 2004
Do you have the DMA option set for the drive? This sounds like a traffic jam
on the IDE bus.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>
Graham Mayor

Sal Amie wrote:
> It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
> drive.
>
> I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
> The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
>
> Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
> drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
> bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.
>
> On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
> took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
> whole CD.
>
> (1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
> the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
> structure, my PC's configuration?
>
> (2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
> quickly?
>

> btbus.dat 50 MB
> d5.dat 15 MB
> d5.idx 0.9 MB
> d7.dat 4.8 MB
> d7.idx 1.3 MB
> dbbus.dat 62 MB
> icd.dat 0
> lobdesc.dat 17 MB
> lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
> uk.dat 403 MB
> ukaddr.idx 124 MB

Rod Speed

      14th Apr 2004

Graham Mayor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5io54$25hr5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Do you have the DMA option set for the drive?
> This sounds like a traffic jam on the IDE bus.

Nope, the hard drive led wouldnt flash ocassionally if it was.

> Sal Amie wrote:
> > It takes a very long time to copy some files from a CD onto my hard
> > drive.
> >
> > I am using WinXP Pro with two year old LiteOn LTR-40125S CD drive.
> > The CD has 650 MB of data in approx 14 files (see blist at bottom).
> >
> > Using Windows Explorer I dragged the files on the CD onto my hard
> > drive. To do this the CD reader worked for about hour in 3 second
> > bursts, each time with the odd flicker of CD-R's LED.
> >
> > On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD it
> > took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of the
> > whole CD.
> >
> > (1) What is causing this short-burst copying to happen? Is it XP,
> > the CD-R hardware, copy protection on the CD, the CD's file
> > structure, my PC's configuration?
> >
> > (2) And how can I get the files from this CD to my hard drive more
> > quickly?
> >

> > btbus.dat 50 MB
> > d5.dat 15 MB
> > d5.idx 0.9 MB
> > d7.dat 4.8 MB
> > d7.idx 1.3 MB
> > dbbus.dat 62 MB
> > icd.dat 0
> > lobdesc.dat 17 MB
> > lobdesc.idx 0.2 MB
> > uk.dat 403 MB
> > ukaddr.idx 124 MB

Graham Mayor

      14th Apr 2004
Rod Speed wrote:
> Graham Mayor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c5io54$25hr5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>> Do you have the DMA option set for the drive?
>> This sounds like a traffic jam on the IDE bus.

> Nope, the hard drive led wouldn't flash occasionally if it was.

It would flash every time the hard drive was written to - the process was
described as slow not stopped.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
Graham Mayor

Sal Amie

      14th Apr 2004
Will Dormann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> In article <94CAEF856B09C37E1A@64.62.191.201>,
>> Sal Amie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On the other hand when I used Nero to burn a copy of this CD
>>>it took only 2 or 3 minutes to read and make an image file of
>>>the whole CD.
>>>

>> This sounds like a bad spot on the CD. Try wiping it with a
>> very clean cloth in a radial direction, and try again.
>>
>> Did the disk _ever_ work ? If this is the first time you've
>> tried to use it it's possible it's defective.

> I don't think that is the case, as the OP mentioned that he
> could read in and create an image of the whole cd in 2 or 3
> minutes.

Is there a way I can extract the files from the large "image" file
which Nero can be asked to create on my hard drive?

Will Dormann

      14th Apr 2004
Sal Amie wrote:

> Is there a way I can extract the files from the large "image" file
> which Nero can be asked to create on my hard drive?

Yes. ISOBuster should do it. Or WinISO.

-WD