Why is file suddenly "Read Only"?

Robert Crandal

      29th Jun 2010
I cannot save my workbook because the file status
is suddenly showing as "Read Only". Are there any
settings in Excel 2007 which might cause a workbook
to become "Read Only"??? I login to my personal
account every day, after which I shut down all
applications and log out. Therefore, I'm somewhat
positive that I'm not logged in twice.

If it is possible that another user, such as the network
administrator or a boss, has the file open, is there a
way to see who currently has the file open?? Any
clues as to what is going on here?

Thank you!

trip_to_tokyo

      29th Jun 2010
On Jun 29, 12:29*pm, "Robert Crandal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I cannot save my workbook because the file status
> is suddenly showing as "Read Only". * Are there any
> settings in Excel 2007 which might cause a workbook
> to become "Read Only"??? *I login to my personal
> account every day, after which I shut down all
> applications and log out. *Therefore, I'm somewhat
> positive that I'm not logged in twice.
>
> If it is possible that another user, such as the network
> administrator or a boss, has the file open, is there a
> way to see who currently has the file open?? *Any
> clues as to what is going on here?
>
> Thank you!

Robert, I occasionally see this intermittent error in WORD but never,
yet, in EXCEL.

Matt Richardson

      29th Jun 2010
On Jun 29, 11:29*am, "Robert Crandal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I cannot save my workbook because the file status
> is suddenly showing as "Read Only". * Are there any
> settings in Excel 2007 which might cause a workbook
> to become "Read Only"??? *I login to my personal
> account every day, after which I shut down all
> applications and log out. *Therefore, I'm somewhat
> positive that I'm not logged in twice.
>
> If it is possible that another user, such as the network
> administrator or a boss, has the file open, is there a
> way to see who currently has the file open?? *Any
> clues as to what is going on here?
>
> Thank you!

If the file is read-only as you open it, then Excel will tell you, and
will tell you who already has it open.

Is it possible you are suffering from network problems which are
causing the folder to have a read-only status and therefore
affectiving your ability to save?

Matt
http://2toria.com
http://teachr.blogspot.com

Gord Dibben

      29th Jun 2010
Do you get a message that the workbook is already opened by yourself and is
read-only?

When you open a workbook in Excel a temporary copy is created.

Closing the workbook should also close the temp file.

Sometimes this does not happen and the temp file remains behind.

A reboot generally clears the temp file.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP