Why don't ePaper-devices do apps?

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

      31st Jul 2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Charlie+ <chasg> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) wrote as
>underneath :
>
>>We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
>>screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
>>
>>But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
>>number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
>>other solution.
>>
>>And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
>>'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

>I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does webpages etc -slowly
>and small-ly but you can use it at a push!
>C+

The Kindle browser is certainly not perfect, but is useful for things like
bringing up google maps in a pinch, checking things you should have looked
up before you left the house and killing spam comments on your blog.

The kindle (not kindle fire, but regular kindles) is a linux device
and there are plenty of jailbreaks out there to get you into it. It's
easy to develop/port Linux API programs for it with Scratchbox or other
ARM linux cross compilers..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

In article <jus0ge$2o6$(E-Mail Removed)>, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Charlie+
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) wrote as
>> underneath :
>>
>> >We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
>> >screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
>> >
>> >But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
>> >number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
>> >other solution.
>> >
>> >And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
>> >'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

>> I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does
>> webpages etc -slowly and small-ly but you can use
>> it at a push!
>> C+

>But can you write and edit text?
>
>==TIA.

Sure. It helps if you have one of the models with an actual keyboard, of
course.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Charlie+

      31st Jul 2012
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:58:42 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) wrote as
underneath:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Charlie+ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) wrote as
>> underneath :
>>
>> >We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
>> >screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
>> >
>> >But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
>> >number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
>> >other solution.
>> >
>> >And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
>> >'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

>> I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does
>> webpages etc -slowly and small-ly but you can use
>> it at a push!
>> C+

>But can you write and edit text?

Yes but slowly, login to email, eBay etc is quite possible but v.
slowly! You wouldnt' use it if you had a faster option available -
mine is a Kindle 3 which also plays MP3 files for audiobooks etc. - a
facility I use really a lot. I Believe the later cheaper Kindles
perhaps dont do as much or have so much memory, but have advantage of
touch screen whereas mine has keypad. C+