Why does Target=_top do the same thing as Target=_parent ??

kevin

      3rd Jul 2003
1) I noticed that after publishing - they are identical. They both
cause a new instance of your browser to open, with the full new page
from the link, and they both leave the existing frames page open as
well, just behind the new browser window.

2) Also - I thought that _parent will cause the link to open up in
the "parent" frame - but nowhere can I find a description for
"parent frame". Obviously, it does not open up a "frame" - it opens
up an entire window - maximized.

3) what ever happened to Target=New ?? I see that there is no
option for that with FrontPage.

Any ideas ??

Kevin Spencer

      3rd Jul 2003
Neither "_top" nor "_parent" open a new browser window. "_top" opens the
page in the topmost window of a frameset, or, if no frameset is present, the
current browser window. "_parent" opens the page in the immediate parent
frame of the frame the page is in (framesets can be nested), or, if no
frameset is present, the current browser window.

There is no "_new" in HTML. If you want the browser to open the page in a
new browser window, use "_blank".

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP