Why does Excel sometimes open up to a blank blue screen?

=?Utf-8?B?UHJpbWVUaW1lU1Rp?=

      27th Jul 2007
Not always, but many times, Excel 2007 running on Vista Ultimate on a Dell
D820 opens to only a blue background screen with a partial bar at the top
with about 4 buttons for page views and a zoom bar, nothing else. This
occurs when opening Excel or opening an existing 2003 or 2007 worksheet.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bEI=?=

      31st Jul 2007
I have this same problem. Has anyone found a reason?
--
Paul

"PrimeTimeSTi" wrote:

> Not always, but many times, Excel 2007 running on Vista Ultimate on a Dell
> D820 opens to only a blue background screen with a partial bar at the top
> with about 4 buttons for page views and a zoom bar, nothing else. This
> occurs when opening Excel or opening an existing 2003 or 2007 worksheet.

=?Utf-8?B?UHJpbWVUaW1lU1Rp?=

      1st Aug 2007
I have been in touch with Dell tech support and this is the list of things
they gave me to check. I have not yet had time to do any of it but wanted to
post it so others can give a try or maybe let me know if it helps or not.

I ran into some problems with the conversion software when I first started
running office 2007. The first thing to do is to make sure that all the
files you use on a regular basis are saved as "docx" files. Many times
computers will freeze up when constantly having to convert a file that was
made in office 2003 (saved as "doc" files) over to "docx."

Next, the computer should have at least have 2GB of Ram for running Vista
OS. Vista requires 512MB to run, so if you only have 1GB you can't do much
multi-tasking.

Lastly, I would contact tech support and see if they have any updated BIOS
or drivers that might fix this problem.

"PaulB" wrote:

> I have this same problem. Has anyone found a reason?
> --
> Paul
>

> "PrimeTimeSTi" wrote:
>
> > Not always, but many times, Excel 2007 running on Vista Ultimate on a Dell
> > D820 opens to only a blue background screen with a partial bar at the top
> > with about 4 buttons for page views and a zoom bar, nothing else. This
> > occurs when opening Excel or opening an existing 2003 or 2007 worksheet.

Sol

      27th Aug 2007
PrimeTimeSTi wrote:
> Not always, but many times, Excel 2007 running on Vista Ultimate on a Dell
> D820 opens to only a blue background screen with a partial bar at the top
> with about 4 buttons for page views and a zoom bar, nothing else. This
> occurs when opening Excel or opening an existing 2003 or 2007 worksheet.

Does it occur when you click on a file to open it? Do you have Acrobat
Writer? If so: Delete the program in the XLSTART-folder under
programfiles\micosoft office\office12

New Member

      28th Oct 2007
Hi
I have the same problem with Excell I follow your advice and deleted the XLSTART but the problem still exists. any other help. Please.
Pevkal

New Member

      2nd Oct 2009
I found that documents created in excel 2003 have this issue some times. What I found was the document is there but off the screeen out of the viewing range. There are no scroll bars to get to the document. If you go to view and click on full screen it will then display. (the full screen that removes all the menue items)

If you close the file. and open excel and then open the file it is also fine. To confirm this is tghe issue if after opening the problematic file you minimize the table view not the excel app you will again be looking at the blue screen.