Why do my formulas sometimes use "Extract" instead of the actual CellReference?

Matt.Russett

      4th Nov 2008
This happens to me time to time and I have no idea why. It's really
starting to tick me off!!

of example I am trying to do a SUMIF.

I Type =SUMIF(

I click Columns A and B... Formula now shows =SUMIF(A:B,

I then Click my criteria which is in C1... the formula does this
=SUMIF(A:B,Extract...

Why Extract? Why not C1? I have to type in C1 manually if I want to
fill the formula down...

I have googled it every way I can think of and found nothing.

Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks

Harald Staff

      4th Nov 2008
My guess is that the C1 cell is named Extract.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Matt.Russett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This happens to me time to time and I have no idea why. It's really
> starting to tick me off!!
>
> of example I am trying to do a SUMIF.
>
> I Type =SUMIF(
>
> I click Columns A and B... Formula now shows =SUMIF(A:B,
>
> I then Click my criteria which is in C1... the formula does this
> =SUMIF(A:B,Extract...
>
> Why Extract? Why not C1? I have to type in C1 manually if I want to
> fill the formula down...
>
> I have googled it every way I can think of and found nothing.
>
> Any help is really appreciated!
>
> Thanks

Matt.Russett

      4th Nov 2008
Brand new sheet, no names

Dave Peterson

      4th Nov 2008
Excel creates names when it needs them.

If you use data|filter|advanced filter (xl2003 menus), excel can create names
without your permission or knowledge.

If you use a criteria range, you'll have a range named Criteria.
If you use "copy to a new location", you'll have a range named Extract.

So if this is a brand new worksheet where you haven't used data|filter|advanced
filter, then maybe you're using a template worksheet (sheet.xlt*--located in
your XLStart folder) that already has these names.

If that's the case, open that template worksheet and delete the names. Then
save the template file and test it again.

--

Dave Peterson

Harald Staff

      4th Nov 2008
Yeah, listen to Dave. Did you look for names, or just assume they couldn't
be there ?

Best wishes Harald

news:(E-Mail Removed)...