Why are complete systems cheaper than building your own?

Go Tyler

      13th Dec 2005
I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
or Circuit City.

When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
not believe the price.

Why is this so?

Michael W. Ryder

      13th Dec 2005
Go Tyler wrote:
> I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
> seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
> or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

If you use pricewatch.com you can find some good prices on the different
components you have selected. They include vendor ratings if you have
any concerns. The big difference between building yourself and buying a
prebuilt one is that you don't know what all the components inside are.
Plus some of the necessary upgrades can cost a lot more for a prebuilt
computer than for a computer you built yourself. Some of the prebuilt
computers do not come with a CD for XP, but a partition with a copy that
only works on that computer. Plus if you need a new case or power
supply you may have a hard time finding one that will work with your system.
I have built my own computers since the days of the 286 and much prefer
to build one that works the way I want it the first time rather than
hope that someone else's idea is the same as mine.

Leythos

      13th Dec 2005
In article <r%pnf.4444$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
> seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
> or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

Complete systems are not cheaper, they only appear to be cheaper. When
you look at the EXACT parts you will find that the $400 computer you get
from DELL is a stripped down hunk of junk, and if you wanted something
with an AGP slot for video, faster than an old socket 4xx CPU, more than
2 slots for RAM, etc... you would be spending about $800.

If you shop around you can get very close the the same cost as the
actual parts, provided you can learn what parts they use.

As an example, I can build a $25,000 Dell Server, using the SAME quality
of parts, and do it for about 1/2 of what Dell sells it for.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Mark A

      13th Dec 2005
"Go Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r%pnf.4444$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
>seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off
>Dell or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

Because system manufacturers purchase the parts in very large quantities and
get huge discounts compared to what you have pay for the same parts in small
quantities.

If you went to an auto dealer parts department and priced all the parts on
your car, it would cost well over $100,000.

NG User

      13th Dec 2005
It is so because companies like Dell by in HUGE quantities...so, they get
both hardware and software at rediculous prices.

"Go Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r%pnf.4444$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
> seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off

Dell
> or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

BigJIm

      13th Dec 2005
well I guess if you could buy in quantity you would get cheaper pricing.
"Go Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r%pnf.4444$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
>seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off
>Dell or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

Bill

      13th Dec 2005
In article <r%pnf.4444$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
> seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
> or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

Because your name is not Michael Dell.

Bill

      13th Dec 2005
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:07:44 -0600, "Go Tyler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
>seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
>or Circuit City.
>
>When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
>not believe the price.
>
>Why is this so?

I'll add some more to this topic.

You don't get the OS,you get a restore cd and the hard drive has a
hidden partition on it for using this cd.It will not work on another
machine except with same bios and hardware.If your drive goes,time to
buy an OS.
Propriety hardware sometimes includes PSU so you have to purchase from
them.

Bottom line=You get what you pay for!

C.

Venom

      13th Dec 2005
They sell cheaper computers but yer wouldn't want to own one.
Try reading the specs real carefully and you will see what I mean.

"Go Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r%pnf.4444$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
> seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off

Dell
> or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

NoNoBadDog!

      13th Dec 2005

"Go Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r%pnf.4444$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
>seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off
>Dell or Circuit City.
>
> When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
> not believe the price.
>
> Why is this so?

Because Pentiums are overpriced and about a year behind anything AMD makes.
Do yourself a favor...look at AMD Athlon64 processors.

Bobby