Why can't I rotate text box?

joeu2004@hotmail.com

      23rd Apr 2005
Why can't I rotate a text box?

When I go into Format Text Box / Size, I see a
rotation option. But it is greyed out -- unusable.

That suggests to me that something -- some other
option -- is causing the rotation option to be
inapplicable.

I have gone through all of the Tools options.
I have disabled nearly all of the automatic
corrections etc, to no avail.

I can use Text Direction. But that limits me
to multiples of 90 degress. I was hoping to
turn text 45 degrees -- and ideally to any angle.

Can I do that?

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 on
an MS Win XP Pro system.

Pat Garard

      23rd Apr 2005
G'Day Joe,

> Why can't I rotate a text box?

Because a Text Box can not be rotated!

> That suggests to me that something -- some other
> option -- is causing the rotation option to be
> inapplicable.

The same dialog is used for OTHER objects, a rectangle
for example, that CAN be rotated (but not the text inside
them).

> Can I do that?

Try WordArt!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why can't I rotate a text box?
>
> When I go into Format Text Box / Size, I see a
> rotation option. But it is greyed out -- unusable.
>
> That suggests to me that something -- some other
> option -- is causing the rotation option to be
> inapplicable.
>
> I have gone through all of the Tools options.
> I have disabled nearly all of the automatic
> corrections etc, to no avail.
>
> I can use Text Direction. But that limits me
> to multiples of 90 degress. I was hoping to
> turn text 45 degrees -- and ideally to any angle.
>
> Can I do that?
>
> I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 on
> an MS Win XP Pro system.

Graham Mayor

      23rd Apr 2005
See http://www.gmayor.com/rotate_text.htm for workarounds

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Pat Garard wrote:
> G'Day Joe,
>
>> Why can't I rotate a text box?

> Because a Text Box can not be rotated!
>
>> That suggests to me that something -- some other
>> option -- is causing the rotation option to be
>> inapplicable.

> The same dialog is used for OTHER objects, a rectangle
> for example, that CAN be rotated (but not the text inside
> them).
>
>> Can I do that?

> Try WordArt!
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why can't I rotate a text box?
>>
>> When I go into Format Text Box / Size, I see a
>> rotation option. But it is greyed out -- unusable.
>>
>> That suggests to me that something -- some other
>> option -- is causing the rotation option to be
>> inapplicable.
>>
>> I have gone through all of the Tools options.
>> I have disabled nearly all of the automatic
>> corrections etc, to no avail.
>>
>> I can use Text Direction. But that limits me
>> to multiples of 90 degress. I was hoping to
>> turn text 45 degrees -- and ideally to any angle.
>>
>> Can I do that?
>>
>> I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 on
>> an MS Win XP Pro system.

joeu2004@hotmail.com

      23rd Apr 2005
Graham Mayor wrote:
> See http://www.gmayor.com/rotate_text.htm for workarounds

Thanks. Yes, Paste Special As Picture allows me to
rotate the text.

One question .... My Paste Special dialog box (usually)
only provides the option Picture (Windows Metafile), not
simply Picture, which appears in your exmple.

What am I doing wrong?

I say "usually" because one time I did see Picture as
well as Picture (Windows Metafile). I cannot remember
what sequence of keystrokes made that happen. But when
I repeat the simple sequence of Copy followed by Paste
Special, I repeatedly see only Picture (Windows Metafile).

FYI, I disabled most of the automatic mechanisms under
Tools customize, options, and autocorrect. I am using
Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 with XP Pro.

Graham Mayor

      24th Apr 2005
The illustrations were taken from Word 2000 - some of the options have since
been removed as part of Microsoft's security purge.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Graham Mayor wrote:
>> See http://www.gmayor.com/rotate_text.htm for workarounds

> Thanks. Yes, Paste Special As Picture allows me to
> rotate the text.
>
> One question .... My Paste Special dialog box (usually)
> only provides the option Picture (Windows Metafile), not
> simply Picture, which appears in your example.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I say "usually" because one time I did see Picture as
> well as Picture (Windows Metafile). I cannot remember
> what sequence of keystrokes made that happen. But when
> I repeat the simple sequence of Copy followed by Paste
> Special, I repeatedly see only Picture (Windows Metafile).
>
> FYI, I disabled most of the automatic mechanisms under
> Tools customize, options, and autocorrect. I am using
> Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 with XP Pro.

New Member

      8th Jan 2013
I'm using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. If I select a text box, then the ribbon on top shows "text box tools". When clicking the format part of it, a new ribbon shows a lot of options to change the text box|: colors, 3D options, etc. One of them, located on the left is the possibility to rotate the text in the text box