Why can't I copy a 7 GB file to a 120 GB WD External USB Drive?

andreas

      2nd Mar 2008
A Western Digital 250 GB USB External Drive is connected to a Windows
XP SP2 computer. There is 227 GB of unused space on the drive, yet
when I try to copy and paste a 37 GB Vware images files to the drive,
I get an error message Titled "Error Copying File or Folder" that says
"Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space." Why
can't I copy this file to the Drive?

Thanks in advance!

andreas

Ian D

      2nd Mar 2008

"andreas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A Western Digital 250 GB USB External Drive is connected to a Windows
> XP SP2 computer. There is 227 GB of unused space on the drive, yet
> when I try to copy and paste a 37 GB Vware images files to the drive,
> I get an error message Titled "Error Copying File or Folder" that says
> "Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space." Why
> can't I copy this file to the Drive?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> andreas

Sounds like the external drive is formatted as FAT32. For files that
large, 7 GB, it should be formatted as NTSF. I think the maximum
file size for FAT32 is 4 GB.

philo

      3rd Mar 2008

"Ian D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "andreas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >A Western Digital 250 GB USB External Drive is connected to a Windows
> > XP SP2 computer. There is 227 GB of unused space on the drive, yet
> > when I try to copy and paste a 37 GB Vware images files to the drive,
> > I get an error message Titled "Error Copying File or Folder" that says
> > "Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space." Why
> > can't I copy this file to the Drive?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > andreas

> Sounds like the external drive is formatted as FAT32. For files that
> large, 7 GB, it should be formatted as NTSF. I think the maximum
> file size for FAT32 is 4 GB.

Yep!

Ian D

      3rd Mar 2008

"Ian D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "andreas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>A Western Digital 250 GB USB External Drive is connected to a Windows
>> XP SP2 computer. There is 227 GB of unused space on the drive, yet
>> when I try to copy and paste a 37 GB Vware images files to the drive,
>> I get an error message Titled "Error Copying File or Folder" that says
>> "Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space." Why
>> can't I copy this file to the Drive?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> andreas

> Sounds like the external drive is formatted as FAT32. For files that
> large, 7 GB, it should be formatted as NTSF. I think the maximum
> file size for FAT32 is 4 GB.

Oops! That should be NTFS.

andreas

      3rd Mar 2008
Thanks Ian!

Yes, external drive is formatted as FAT32 and I don't know why! I was
with the idea that FAT32 file system was obsolete.
I will use the windows command convert.exe (http://
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx) to convert it to
NTFS.
This method keeps your files intact, unlike formatting a partition.

andreas

      3rd Mar 2008
Thanks Ian!

Yes, external drive is formatted as FAT32 and I don't know why! I was
with the idea that FAT32 file system was obsolete.
I will use the windows command convert.exe (http://
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx) to convert it to
NTFS.
This method keeps your files intact, unlike formatting a partition.

JohnO

      3rd Mar 2008

> Yes, external drive is formatted as FAT32 and I don't know why! I was
> with the idea that FAT32 file system was obsolete.

FAT32 also works with Macintosh, so a lot of manufacturers ship flash drives
with it. I don't know if the latest OSX can read NTFS, but until recently
they couldn't.

-John O

David Vair

      4th Mar 2008
"JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Yes, external drive is formatted as FAT32 and I don't know why! I was
>> with the idea that FAT32 file system was obsolete.

> FAT32 also works with Macintosh, so a lot of manufacturers ship flash drives with it. I don't know
> if the latest OSX can read NTFS, but until recently they couldn't.
>
> -John O

You can also run into file permission issues with NTFS that don't exist in FAT32, thats why many
external drives are preformatted FAT32.

--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+