Which Way To Go

Barbara

      25th Oct 2004
Hello,

I am at a loss when seeing all of these terms.

Which is the best way to go?

I have a cable link, and Win XP Pro.

If I want to remotely manage my machine across the Net, sort of like PC
Anywhere, what would I look at ?

If I wanted to connect to my PC via the Internet and log in like RAS used to
allow in NT, what should I look at ?

In other words, one way was just like sitting at the same terminal but from
a remote location.

The other way was to connect and simply have the drives and printers etc.
seem as though they were local to the remote terminal.

Given some basic advice I plan to RTFM's. I just feel lost since I've only
been an end user up until now.

Any help?

Thanks.

Shenan Stanley

      25th Oct 2004
Answers "inline":

Barbara wrote:
> I am at a loss when seeing all of these terms.

Gotta start somewhere...

> Which is the best way to go?

Give us more information before you ask the question. heh

> I have a cable link, and Win XP Pro.

That's great.. do you connect to the cable modem directly, so you get an
external IP or do you connect to a router box that then gives you and IP
which you use?

> If I want to remotely manage my machine across the Net, sort of like
> PC Anywhere, what would I look at ?

Having Windows XP Professional, you could use the built in Remote Desktop
features. A search in "Help and Support" on your own machine should give
you enough information to get started. Then a Google and/or Microsoft Web
page search would give you even more about terms you don't understand.
After that, you could come here to ask your specific questions. (Note again
that if you have a router connecting to your cable modem before your PCs,
then you will have to configure that router as well.)

> If I wanted to connect to my PC via the Internet and log in like RAS
> used to allow in NT, what should I look at ?
> In other words, one way was just like sitting at the same terminal
> but from a remote location.

You mean a VPN type connection? Or more like when you used (ouch)
Netmeeting to remote into your NT boxes? Again - Remote Desktop..
Otherwise, if you insist, use something like UltraVNC.

> The other way was to connect and simply have the drives and printers
> etc. seem as though they were local to the remote terminal.

That's mapping drives.. That really has not changed..
\\IP.Add.re.ss\sharename still works great, but is again complicated by
routers and firewalls - appropriately. As you don't really want to share
your C drive out to the world. The C$ and other administrative shares still
exist. Remember, Windows XP is simply Windows NT 5.1.

> Given some basic advice I plan to RTFM's. I just feel lost since I've
> only been an end user up until now.
>
> Any help?

Go through some of these articles:

Get Started Using Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

Frequently Asked Questions About Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ity/rdfaq.mspx

Focus on Windows Remote Desktop
http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020526a.htm

--