Which version of Windows XP can use Remote Desktop Connection?

Egan

      14th Jun 2009
Dear Gentlemen:

I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 and I have Remote Desktop
Connection software installed but I can not enable Remote Desktop except I
have Remote Assistance enabled.

What versions of Windows XP can remotely take control of other older
versions of Windows?

Where can I get Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 as retail
version box?

Much help Appreciated.

Thanks

Egan

Shenan Stanley

      15th Jun 2009
Egan wrote:
> Dear Gentlemen:
>
> I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 and I have
> Remote Desktop Connection software installed but I can not enable
> Remote Desktop except I have Remote Assistance enabled.
>
> What versions of Windows XP can remotely take control of other older
> versions of Windows?
>
> Where can I get Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 as
> retail version box?

Windows XP Home Edition does not have the Remote Desktop capability. It can
use the Remote Desktop Client to connect to those with the remote desktop
capability, however. Just about any version of Windows past 98SE have a
version of the remote desktop client - Macintoshes as well. It's the HOST
that is limited to the 'professional' and 'server' versions and supersets.

However - if you are just looking for the functionality of Remote Desktop
for personal use - I suggest TeamViewer or some flavor of VNC (UltraVNC
comes to mind.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP